Dogface

Juki Pro 2000/ferdco Question

I've had this machine for at least ten years but just had it serviced recently. Now I have a problem with the stitches and can't figure out what's causing it. The top line looks great but the bobbin thread is always loose and has loops and snags here and there. I thought the top tension was too loose but some say the bobbing thread is too loose and I dunno how to tighten that.

Any ideas here....?

I have a love hate relationship with this machine. The last employee I taught how to use the machine had the same problem. The bobbin was placed in backwards, and once we switched that around the problem was solved. Give it a try. Do you have the manual for that machine? It is well worth buying.

Why is it I hear of so many people having a problem only after the machine is "serviced?

Thanks for the replies. Yes I do have a manual and will check it for sure....especially the bobbin part. Is there any way to increase bobbin thread tension ?

Looping on the bottom is the top thread.Either it isn't threaded correctly or it's to loose,make sure your going around the second tension on the side 1/1/2 x

There is a spring on the opening side of the pop open bobbin case. The bobbin thread goes backwards through a slit in the case, then under the opening in the spring and out. The spring is secured and adjusted by a screw on one end. There may also be a set screw inside a hole, just forward of the adjuster screw. You would have to loosen the stop screw to adjust the tension screw, then tighten it back to keep the tension from changing on its own.

I usually leave my stop screw just finger tight, so I can still change the bobbin tension screw as needed. I change thread sizes every day, so locking down the bobbin tension screw is more of a hassle than a benefit. The lock screw is more useful to folks who use just one size and brand of thread in the bobbin.

Bob,

That's what I thought too. My wife, who is a seamstress, said it's the bobbin tension. I have the top thread on correctly...checked it many times...

Have you tried to tighten the top tension any yet?

Yes, I did a bit. Only way I know to do that on my machine is to run the thread thru more holes in that silver stick that's on top....I guess one could do an extra wrap on that set of wheels just below the take up gizmo on the end...

I still need to install that servo motor too...when sewing around complex curved it's hard to stay slow with the original system..I have to stop sometimes and that's when I get most of the loose loops on the bottom...

Edited by Dogface

When a mechanic do a service he/she has to sew the machine off, it is not enough to statically adjust the timing and other settings. I see that many have problems with machines after having them serviced, I would not pay for a job half done. I first seems like the bobbin tension is wrong, however it might be other reasons for this too.

My Pfaff machine acted just like you described it, some stitches was OK and other had loose loops on the bobbin side. The reason for this was wrong needle hook timing. Call the mechanic and complain, it should not be like this.

Trox

Trox,

Thanks for that. I really would like to take it back to the shop that did the service but the darn thing is so heavy and it's upstairs in my shop above the garage. Just so hard to move... I will at least call them and try to talk to the tech that did the work. I really never asked them to adjust much, just clean and oil..all I wanted cuz it worked very well before this. Pretty sure I have the correct needles...

For the tension to work properly it needs to be around the one you mentioned on the side 1& 1/2x or else it'll do just what you say it's doing.

Yes, I know that and it is wound that way.. at least you agree that it's the top tension that's the problem...

I sure wish people would remember the mantra. Loops on bottom, top tension.... loops on top, bottom tension. (though a lot of the time it just needs the top tension loosened)

A backwards bobbin will hose you up. I've had industrial machine people tell me it doesn't matter.... but I have news for those folks.... It does matter. While most manuals won't say "thread must unspool from the bobbin to the left." if you look carefully at the pictures.... it will be clear which way it should unspool.

It sounds to me as if you don't have the top threaded properly.

Just went up to check how it's threaded. Looks perfect to me. The loops I was/am getting are when I'm sewing 2oz lining onto 8/9 oz product. Lining was glued on with Barges first. My wonderment is if I didn't let the glue dry/set long enough. I just tried some scraps of the same wt. leather pieces without glue and the stitch line looks fine...

Whadda all think here ?

Edit: Just looked at the bobbin and it was put in the wrong way... We shall see. Top tension seems OK and is done the way Bob's video shows it...

Also had to change the size of the needle to fit thread sizes...was too big..

Edited by Dogface

Bob has a nice threading video on youtube. Change the needle for a new right size and adjust the tension on the top to get the loops inside your work. If necessary adjust the bobbin tension too. If it still will not sew well report back to us. It is probably just a tension problem. However, when you said you had this machine for ten years I was certain you knew its tension adjustments by now. Thats why I talked about other reasons. You say you get your loops when you turn the work? remember to only move your work when the needle is all the way down or this can happen. It can also happen when you have to little foot pressure.

Trox

Yes, I've had this machine a long time but never really had to mess with the tension...just thread it when needed. It always sewed perfectly in the past. I will try the foot pressure though..didn't realize that would cause it. I think I took off some pressure to keep from leaving marks on the work. I have seen Bob's video, BTW...well done

Yes, I've had this machine a long time but never really had to mess with the tension...just thread it when needed. It always sewed perfectly in the past. I will try the foot pressure though..didn't realize that would cause it. I think I took off some pressure to keep from leaving marks on the work. I have seen Bob's video, BTW...well done

Yes if your work moves it can happen.

I missed the part about the glue, If it sews fine without. Yes, then you got your answer.

I use German "snell" glue or semi fast contackt glue (Kôvulfix). I have never had any problems with glue, However, I have seen others post about it.

Trox

Hope its working well now. Changed the bobbin position, changed to correct size needle, tried it with partially dried/set glue and seems to be working well now...at least on a test scrap... Thanks to all for the input and suggestions. This forum is awesome.. ;)