PensacolaJim

Carving & Stamping?

When I carve and finish stamping I find small impressions outside the finished area.

I try to smooth them out with a molding tool, but that just shows up as compressed leather after dying.

Should I use a background tool? I wanted a smooth area but don't quite know how to achieve it.:wacko::(

Thank you,

Jim

When I carve and finish stamping I find small impressions outside the finished area.

I try to smooth them out with a molding tool, but that just shows up as compressed leather after dying.

Should I use a background tool? I wanted a smooth area but don't quite know how to achieve it.:wacko::(

Thank you,

Jim

Hey Jim, take a look at your finger nails. I have to keep mine trimmed and filed, or they will make markes. One other thing, if you wear rings, take them off. Just about anything that touches the leather when it is cased will put a mark on it. Billy P

Hey Jim, take a look at your finger nails. I have to keep mine trimmed and filed, or they will make markes. One other thing, if you wear rings, take them off. Just about anything that touches the leather when it is cased will put a mark on it. Billy P

Thanks Billy,

I think your right! I noticed the way I hold my tools is allowing my nail to mark the leather.

I just filed my small nail smooth.

Next step will be surgical gloves, lol

I agree with Billy, fingernails can make a lot of marks. I have to really keep after mine as well. If you want to rub those marks out it is important to that the area is wet enough so as no burnish marks are left. Use as large a tool as possible. I try to use wood burnishers ILO modeling tools. Modeling tools can be too small. Hope this helps....

Bobby

If you wear a watch, take it off also. Shirts with sleeves and cuff's with buttons, roll them up or take them off. Wash your hands, wrists and forearms, if you have anything on them they will end up on the leather. Clean your tools regularly and blow them off before using, anything you drag over with them will also end up on the leather. Hope this helps, my best you everyone.

One thing I forgot to mention was, I wear (2) gold braclets on my right wrist. I bought a couple of the ace wrist wraps, with the velcro closures, and I use one of them over the braclets too keep them from rubbing on the leather. It's less trouble than tring to take them off every time I work. Billy P

Might sound stupid but another issue I have to watch for it debris under my leather. Small things like where you've trimmed, punched holes, about anything. They show up so I make sure my board is clean before I start. Something else I didn't think of was my bracelet...thank you for pointing that out as a factor.

ehsi should one do fer nose rings ?

For nose rings? Try not to fall asleep and face-plant in your nice cased leather.

Bill