PappyUSA

Sewing Machine Thread Oil

I got 2 spools of 346 in about a month ago from Springfield that were supposed to be pre-lubracated but were dry as a bone. My question is what can I use to lube this thread. I've done some internet searching and it seems that silicon oil is used but I cant find it locally.

Can I just use silicon spray that is available at auto parts stores?

The machine is a Tippmann Boss.

Edited by PappyUSA

I buy silicon lube in quarts from Toledo Industrial Sewing Machines. You can probably get it from any industrial sewing machine dealer, anywhere.

You will need a special attachment to run your thread through the silicon. I know that Toledo Industrial has some different types of attachment. Weaver also sells a magnetic bottom jar with stuff inside to position the thread inside the liquid. Or, make one yourself.

You can also do what I do with the thread we use for jeans. I soak the cones in silicone overnight, completely sumerging them. I then let them air out a bit (a few hours) before putting them in use. I also buy the spray cans when I don't want a complete saturation. I buy my silicone in gallons from Universal Sewing Supply. For the chainstitch machines I'm sewing leather with, I do use the magnetic lube boxes AFTER the thread has passed through the tension discs. Makes the tension more consistant with the Kevlar thread.

Regards, Eric