Sign in to follow this  
Troy1

Newbie Hobbyist pondering a sailrite LS-1 machine for leather bound canvas bags and medium weight leather

First Let me say what a great forum you all have here! I'm new to it about three days now and can hardly peel myself away from it. I've participated on many different sorts of forums and I've never seen one that is so community oriented, positive and helpful. OK... now I need to pool some wisdom here. As a kid I used to tool and hand sew wallets, belts, and ammo pouches. Thats been 30+ years ago and I'v probably forgotten more about leather than I ever knew! Anyway its always been a hope that I could get back into it at least on a serious hobbyist sort of level. Presently my interests lie in making over the shoulder type bags (messenger flap style bags). I'm interested in doing some Waxed canvas and/or cordura bags bound with thinly skived tooling leather with leather straps etc. I would also like to tackle similar stye bags in all leather, probably made from tooling leather in 7/8 oz. and three layers thick max. The portablility of the sailrite and their great customer service reputation has attracted and got me thinking this might be the perfect little machine for me to start on. At $700 or so with all the goodies I'm forced to have second thoughts and wonder if I mght be better off ponying up some more money and getting a true industrial machine. I would appreciate any input as to the pros and the cons and what you think about the sailrites LS-1 ability to actually do what I'm thinking. I've searched the sailrite threads and got some info but would like to hear directly from any one interested in shooting me their two cents. Thanks in advance!

Edited by Troy1

First Let me say what a great forum you all have here! I'm new to it about three days now and can hardly peel myself away from it. I've participated on many different sorts of forums and I've never seen one that is so community oriented, positive and helpful. OK... now I need to pool some wisdom here. As a kid I used to tool and hand sew wallets, belts, and ammo pouches. Thats been 30+ years ago and I'v probably forgotten more about leather than I ever knew! Anyway its always been a hope that I could get back into it at least on a serious hobbyist sort of level. Presently my interests lie in making over the shoulder type bags (messenger flap style bags). I'm interested in doing some Waxed canvas and/or cordura bags bound with thinly skived tooling leather with leather straps etc. I would also like to tackle similar stye bags in all leather, probably made from tooling leather in 7/8 oz. and three layers thick max. The portablility of the sailrite and their great customer service reputation has attracted and got me thinking this might be the perfect little machine for me to start on. At $700 or so with all the goodies I'm forced to have second thoughts and wonder if I mght be better off ponying up some more money and getting a true industrial machine. I would appreciate any input as to the pros and the cons and what you think about the sailrites LS-1 ability to actually do what I'm thinking. I've searched the sailrite threads and got some info but would like to hear directly from any one interested in shooting me their two cents. Thanks in advance!

The sailrite may work but it will be maxed out if you sew 2 layers of 8 oz. reality is if you want to sew 3 layers of 8 oz tooling you should probably look at some of the bigger machines. There seems to be a price war brewing between a couple of the companies so you may get a great deal on a machine in the near future. Also what size of thread do you want to use. The sailrite will use a 138 top thread and a 138 bobbin thread. that is the biggest size you can use. that is a canvas or upholstery size and you will probably want a machine that will use at least a size 207 thread or 277 thread on top. Most industrial sewing machines will use a 207 top and a 138 bobbin. doesnt matter whether it is a flatbed or cylinder-arm. When you added the third layer of 8 oz you kind of jumped into the bigger machines. good point - should let you sew with any size thread you want. - Bad point - it just cost you some more money.