Sign in to follow this  
BConklin

Newcomer With A Few Holster-Making Questions

Hello to all from a snowy Connecticut!

For my very first leatherworking project I've chosen to make a lined field holster for my Ruger Old Army cap and ball revolver. I've patterned it much along the lines of the Hunter 1100 series holsters but with a hammer strap. I've made my template and cut my leather already (veg tanned 8 ounce for the front and veg tanned 2 oz calf for the liner) I plan to hand stitch the holster and I have fashioned a stitching pony from an old wooden woodworking clamp.

I've purchased some tools on the advice of one of the salespersons at the local Tandy store but I'm not quite sure of the best way to proceed...

My questions have to do with punching or stabbing the holes for the thread at the welt (if that's the correct term for the main seam) - I have a hand stitching awl, a saddler's groover, a four prong diamond punch (with tines separated by 1/8") a #6 overstitcher and a single diamond punch.

As I understand the hand awl method - I'll groove the front of the holster and scribe the groove with the overstitcher, glue the edges of the holster, then clamp it in the pony and, at the welt, drive the awl through all 4 layers of leather (counting lining). It seems to me this method would not only be the most difficult and time-consuming but would most likely yield very amateur looking results at the welt as well. It seems to me that no matter how careful I am with the entrance hole placement, the exit holes will end up looking like a line of drunken sailors. Yes, I know that portion is on the rear of the holster - but I want to have a decent product.

As I understand the diamond punch method - I'd groove where I want to stitch all the way around then lay the holster flat and punch through two layers of leather (counting lining). Then I'll clamp the holster in the pony and stitch away. This sounds much easier to me - BUT I'm wondering if I'll run into problems if the holes don't line up from front to back. It seems to me that if they're off, the welt would get pulled out of alignment.

Another alternative I thought of would be to glue the welt together, groove and mark w/ overstitcher then make all my holes on the drill press. This sounds pretty simple - but it would yield round holes...I notice all the other methods yield diamond shaped holes and it seems it must be important for some reason I don't yet know...

I'd appreciate feedback - even if it's to tell me I'm overthinking this..

Thanks in advance - Brian

Edited by BConklin

Well - I came up with my own "solution".

I went back to the template which was cut from heavy manila folder paper. I drew a line 3/16' inside of the edge alomost all the way around, then made marks 1/8" apart on that line with wing dividers. When I got to the welt ara on the back of the holster, I folded the template over and, from the front, punched the marks through the holse I'd already made there.

Then I laid the template back onto the leather, pinned it to the leather with push pins at several of the marks, then with a scratch awl I transferred the marks to the leather.

After that, I went all the way around punching each mark with the single diamond punch.

After that, I cut my thread grooves and bevelled the edge.

Hopefully - I will now have sttiching holes that line up perfectly pre-punched all the way around.

Now it's time to figure out a good way to dye the leather...

Thats nice and simple I hope when I get around to making my first holster it looks that good!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1111

I guess I muddled through on my own ...

4.jpg

2.jpg

1.jpg

Fine looking Holster....Has an Old School look to it. reminds me of a George Lawerance

Holster........

that is gorgeous, and i love the color. you did a great job on this.