Sign in to follow this  
Shorts

Going to AU on vacation

Well, hubby and I are going to take a vacation to Sydney in September. I'm hoping some time in the vacation I can find a leather store and possibly bring home a few items. Anyone familiar what the export laws are for particular leathers?

I'm traveling Tokyo to Sydney, then back. I have been able to order leather from the States and have it shipped to me so there is some leighway. Any resources that I can read through to know-before-I-go particularly pertaining to AU laws?

Well, hubby and I are going to take a vacation to Sydney in September. I'm hoping some time in the vacation I can find a leather store and possibly bring home a few items. Anyone familiar what the export laws are for particular leathers?

I'm traveling Tokyo to Sydney, then back. I have been able to order leather from the States and have it shipped to me so there is some leighway. Any resources that I can read through to know-before-I-go particularly pertaining to AU laws?

There are a couple of places I know of in Sydney, Birdsall Leather http://www.birdsall-leather.com.au/ and http://www.nswleather.com.au/

I'm on the other side of the country though so there could possibly be others. I haven't gone into Birdsall personally yet (hope to next year) but they have always provided good service when I've ordered online ( I get dyes from them). I've only used NSW Leather Co's agent in Perth so I'm not sure what they are like.

I don't think you will have any problem with veg tan cow leather but kangaroo and other exotics I'm not so sure about, I would check with Birdsall and NSW Leather Co as I guess they would probably send stuff overseas.

Hope this helps

Cheers,

Clair

I don't know about their leather laws, but be sure to climb the Sydney Harbor Bridge while you're there, and go see the flying foxes in the Royal Botanic Gardens and go up to the Blue Mountains. I had a great time down there!

Kathy

I don't know about their leather laws, but be sure to climb the Sydney Harbor Bridge while you're there, and go see the flying foxes in the Royal Botanic Gardens and go up to the Blue Mountains. I had a great time down there!

Kathy

Will do! The Harbor Bridge and Blue Mountains are on our list :) Flying foxes??? First I've heard of them but they sound neat!

Will do! The Harbor Bridge and Blue Mountains are on our list :) Flying foxes??? First I've heard of them but they sound neat!

Flying foxes are big fruit bats. They "hang around" in the trees in the garden. Don't stand underneath them! If you go just before dusk, you can watch them taking off for the night. That looks cool against the city skyline. Be careful not to get locked in the garden. They close the gaits at 6:30. The garden is behind the oprea house.

When you go to the Blue Mountains, take some back roads, and you'll see a lot more wildlife. That's what I enjoyed most there. Get out and do some walking too. It's beautiful there.

Edited by yaklady

I get all my Kangaroo Lacing and all my other leather skins at NSW Leather in Melbourne and found them to have great service and quality. I found the need to ring ahead as sometimes I need to wait a couple of weeks for them to get more stock of what I want.

As for customs I used to import kung-fu weapons from China and found Australian customs very approachable and friendly as long as your up front and honest. I'd just email them and ask.

Hope you have a great holiday.

Thanks Pauly. Will do :)

Yaklady, thanks for the explanation. I bet that's a real sight to see.

We'll be headed out on Tuesday for this trip. I wanted to thank everyone for their suggestions - I'm definitely looking forward to doing some shopping! :thumbsup:

At the zoo, there was a cage full of parrots, when no one was around I did teach them a few words.

If you happen to be there,you're in for a surprise! LOL!

We'll be headed out on Tuesday for this trip. I wanted to thank everyone for their suggestions - I'm definitely looking forward to doing some shopping! :thumbsup:

Are you only going to Sydney, Shorts?

Tony.

Brandon, I'll see if your proteges are still there :rofl:

Tony, yes, we're only going to Sydney. Well, that's where we're staying. I haven't done much research into nearby cities that would make for a nice day trip. Any suggestions?

Brandon, I'll see if your proteges are still there :rofl:

Tony, yes, we're only going to Sydney. Well, that's where we're staying. I haven't done much research into nearby cities that would make for a nice day trip. Any suggestions?

You could come to Tasmania. It's a small beautiful island state and it doesn't take long to get around. Look it up on the 'net. We only have 1/2 million population and pretty easy going and you could call in for coffee!!!

Have a good time, Tony.

Flying foxes are big fruit bats. They "hang around" in the trees in the garden. Don't stand underneath them! If you go just before dusk, you can watch them taking off for the night. That looks cool against the city skyline. Be careful not to get locked in the garden. They close the gaits at 6:30. The garden is behind the oprea house.When you go to the Blue Mountains, take some back roads, and you'll see a lot more wildlife. That's what I enjoyed most there. Get out and do some walking too. It's beautiful there.
dont pet th snakes in th bush peter john