frank207

Cutting Straps from a Double Shoulder

After I make a straight edge cut and begin cutting my straps for dog collars and belts, I find after a couple of straps the remaining piece of double shoulder begins to get a 'bow' in it at the edge where I just cut. I have a Tandy Craftool Strip & Strap tool cutter, the cheap one.

Is there a way to maintain a straighter edge after the cut, reducing or eliminating the 'bow' affect? Do I need a better Strap Cutter Tool?

Any suggestions will be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Frank

Just take it a little slower, Frank, and put less pressure on the cut. Let the blade do the cutting rather than force it through the leather. IMHO the problem lies in that the middle back of the animal is tougher than the flanks and the leather is slightly softer the lower you get on the sides. If you force the cut you will get less resistance from the sides than the back hence you get a slight curve in your cut.

I get the same effect with a plough gauge if I rush the job. Best to take your time, cut a little slower and more carefully - even if your inclination is to cut swift and slick.

Just my opinion and worth what you paid for it. I'm sure others will have different advice.

Stuff happens...

I cut straps everyday, being too fussy gets in the way. Just take a straight edge, and line it up with the true part of the cut, and recut that last 6-12 inches straight. If it's off a little, use the strapcutter, and just cut a 1/2" strip...use that for belt keepers. Now you have a true edge to cut from again.

frank i am fairly ne wto this and have tandy starp cutter as well, the cheap one.....it works fine if i cut slowly....

Also, I make sure that the leather about to be fed into the blade stays snug against the handle and low.....this ensures that through the thick stuff I am cutting stays straight....does that make sense?

when cutting straps make sure the leather being fed into the blade is in the same position throughout the entire strap...if it moves it will distort the straight edge i find

Frank,

Something else you might want to take a look at: When you got your Strap Cutter, did you take it apart to see what makes it tick. I did. And if it's not put back just right you will have a problem with straight straps.

On the main body of the strap cutter (the handle part) right below the butterfly screw, on the left side there is a beveled portion. Make sure that beveled out portion is to the left. In other words the name "The Strap-Cutter, Stockton, CA will be on the top & the beveled out part will be directly under US Pat.

I reassembled it wrong, one time, and the straps were not straight.

Hope this makes sense.

One thing that is often overlooked is keeping your cutting edge sharp! Sharp blades will let the leather glide through without having to pull and then distort the leather.

When cutting strings for whips etc, I take the new scalpel blades and buff them on the polishing wheel. Makes a difference. When you feel the blade start to drag, give it a couple passes on the buffing wheel and then have a go at it again.

Hey Frank,

All the above is good advice. Now here's a bit you might try . . .

When using the Strap Cutter, start the cut and the instead of pulling it with the handle, place your hand over the top of cutting rail and push in as you pull it down the length of the leather. This will keep the Cutter firm aginst the edge of the leather as it cuts and will keep it from cutting unevenly.

Have fun,

Jim

Jim.

Good suggestion. I will try that as well.

Stay safe...