DavidL

Anyone Bought Calf Skin From This Company?

http://leather-online.it/en/home/50-aniline-leather-black-calf-skin-for-leather-goods-bags-wallets-shoes-binding.html

The leather seems like a steal at that price 12 square feet at $8/sq foot. Maybe 9-10 usable square feet still at 9-10 dollars. Other italian and french leathers are 18 - 25 a square foot for the leather hermes uses. Is this leather a cheap imitation of that sort of high end hermes type leather or a good priced premium calf leather in the quality range of what horweens puts out.

This leather will be used for wallets both unlined and lined with thin leather. I will pay for the samples if they seem to have leathers that are high quality.

http://leather-online.it/en/home/50-aniline-leather-black-calf-skin-for-leather-goods-bags-wallets-shoes-binding.html

The leather seems like a steal at that price 12 square feet at $8/sq foot. Maybe 9-10 usable square feet still at 9-10 dollars. Other italian and french leathers are 18 - 25 a square foot for the leather hermes uses. Is this leather a cheap imitation of that sort of high end hermes type leather or a good priced premium calf leather in the quality range of what horweens puts out.

This leather will be used for wallets both unlined and lined with thin leather. I will pay for the samples if they seem to have leathers that are high quality.

damn that looks nice. Let me know if you get anymore info.

Do you happen to know what the shipping would be? Im looking for box calf as well and the best price I can currently find is around $18sf

probably 100-150 for shipping for 200 square feet is a guess.

Which store did you find the box calf for 18?

David, did you ever purchase any leather from leather-online.it ?

Doug C

And you can get the same stuff for a whole lot less right here in the U.S.A., all you have to do is look around. Afterall, that calf where the leather in Italy came from was born, raised and processed right here in the U.S.A. anyway. Why buy an American product from a foreign source?

And you can get the same stuff for a whole lot less right here in the U.S.A., all you have to do is look around. Afterall, that calf where the leather in Italy came from was born, raised and processed right here in the U.S.A. anyway. Why buy an American product from a foreign source?

Please point me in the right direction. I would love to buy some high quality calf right here in the USA.

What use do you have intended for it? If you are looking for lining calf then go to Springfield Leather; if your are looking for something a bit more robust then check out The Hide House. I know that the price for the Springfield Leather lining calf is below $5.00 per square foot and that is at full retail (if you are a licensed business then setup a wholesale account with them and get it even cheaper). The Hide House is also much cheaper than the prices mentioned in the earlier posts (you can download a PDF version of their catalog and they also offer businesses a wholesale pricing program).

I found some glazed calf and kid on the Hidehouse site. Not really sure what the difference is between calf and kid...

It does look pretty promising.

https://hidehouse.com/products/index.html?Category=SC

Edited by Hi Im Joe

I thought I would also share this:

http://forum.purseblog.com/hermes/lots-info-4-u-hermes-tanneries-leather-availability-436633.html

This guy/gal spent some time looking into the tanneries that supply Hermes etc...and decided to share some info.

Hi Im Joe - I've read that list a couple of times now and it's a little disappointing that the writer ended up purchasing only lambskin when calf and goat is what Hermes uses the most. The "KID" skin at hidehouse is interesting too, I've considered it before as an option. I guess I should send off for some samples. But it does seem to have a little bit of texture to it and a good choice of colors. It might be glossier than I'd prefer, it's hard to tell from the stock pics.

I agree with LVleatherWorx though.. and that's the fact that we here in the US SHOULD have planty of options for calf skin.. the problem is finding some with a shrunken grain or embossed for texture/grain and in a variety of non-traditional colors. There are a few places in the US - but the leather is usually really smooth and offered in about three or four of the most traditional colors.

LVleatherWorx - if you know of any other places.. do tell. thanks.

Doug C

Edited by CustomDoug

I really only deal with The Hide House and Springfield Leather when it comes to the more unique leathers. The Hide House actually handles most of the leathers that are used by the fashion industry so they have a very wide range of products that can fit just about any need. Springfield Leather also does pretty good with their materials selection and they are actually people who work with and know leather for its varied uses and abilities which makes it a nice experience to be able to work with someone who "gets it". I have found that if you ever start doing a large number of items where the exotic leathers come into play (i.e. Python, Elephant, Ostrich, Kangaroo, Gator, etc.) Springfield Leather has the biggest selection I have found yet here in the U.S. and there prices are actually quite reasonable when you take into consideration what you are getting.

Both of these sources are also my primary go to guys for ALL of my H.O. veg-tan and neither of them have minimum order requirements and both offer a wholesale pricing program to a licensed business operator (and I am in their wholesale programs).

We are starting to run out of reliable sources for our materials here in the U.S. aside from making large orders from the two tanneries that remain (I know there are a couple more than 2 but those have been bought out by foreign groups who don't understand the demand for quality that we professional makers require).

I believe that most of their leathers are tanned in Mexico and South America. Now as far as smelling like marijuana I am not sure but there has been a rash of leather that has been tanned South of the border that has developed a musty smell as if it has been with damp leathers which eventually stared to mold. I stopped by my local Tandy store last week and that was the first thing that hit me was a musty smell and the bulk of the leather that they sell is tanned in Mexico with some being in Venezuela. Not trying to pick on anyone here but it could just be the actual tanning solutions that they use which are much different than the traditional or original recipes which we use here in the U.S. and are also used in the U.K. for tanning.