JakeDiebolt

Closure Straps On A Briefcase

I'm thinking of making a briefcase or two as Christmas gifts for my family this year. Initially I was just going to do a standard billet and buckle arrangement, but when I looked at examples online I found that most of them had straps that seemed to weave in and out of the lid of the case, as well as the back...hard to explain what I mean...

What I can't see about this method is how the strap is attached...is it just woven through all the slots in the leather and left 'loose', or is it stitched on someplace? I haven't had any success finding anything about it. See the attached image for what I mean.

(the briefcase below is from Longview Leather, a supplier out in Calgary. Just figured I'd cite my sources)

Briefcase_012__82783.1361062755.1280.1280.jpg

Can anyone enlighten me?

On the bottom there the straps would be sandwiched between the front panel and the bottom gusset. Then the stitch comes along and sews them all together.

Edited by AndyL1

Now that I look at the pic a little closer, I can see the little bulges where the straps are with the gusset. Thanks Andy!