muerte

My First 2 Holsters. New To The Forum.

I have been lurking for a few weeks since I decided to make my own holster for a new pistol I bought.

Before this I had never done any leatherwork so I looked at similar holsters like what I wanted and then headed up to the local Tandy leather and bought some 8oz leather and thread and made a go at my first holster.

I molded the holster part to the pistol then sewed it together. Cut it to fit the back and then attached it.

The molding was rather tight so I had to work the pistol in and out a bit to get it loose enough to be easily drawn.

I made another trip to Tandy and got some dye, sealant, one of the plastic burnishers and an edge beveler.

I dyes the holster after it was put together so it isn't covered that great behind the holster but it was a good learning experience.

Here are the images of my first holster:

gallery_14257_335_78737.jpg

gallery_14257_335_1410587.jpg

The next weekend I decided to make another holster that was a little better designed and cleaner cut with some additions like a thumb push and buttons to allow it to be a front or back pocket holster.

I made a template using autocad and cut and dyed all the leather before forming then I glued the holster pieces together and sanded then burnished the edges using canvas.

I redyed it and then installed the buttons.

I am much happier with this new holster other than where the sealant stuck together causing some tears when I separated the back from the front.

Here is what my new holster looks like:

gallery_14257_336_1317592.jpg

gallery_14257_336_320248.jpg

gallery_14257_336_2080915.jpg

gallery_14257_336_1352981.jpg

I am enjoying working with leather and have alot more to learn but so far so good.

I did post this in the members area as well but thought this part of the forum would be a better place to get criticism to help me along the way.

If it needs to be removed or moved please feel free.

Thanks,

Matt

Edited by muerte

Welcome to Leatherworker.net!

For a first project, it looks good. Kudos to you for your research into the design, the work shows that you thought out what you wanted. Looking forward to your next projects.

I think you have a very innovative idea there, allowing both back pocket and front pocket carry.

As you progress you will find that sewing the holster first, then forming to the handgun, is far easier and results in a better overall appearance. This also allows the edges to be dressed down and beveled more easily, before the forming process. Burnishing is best done following forming, as the moisture causes leather fibers to swell.

With most dyes there will be some difficulties in getting an even finish after the holster has been molded. Compression of the leather fibers during forming results in areas of differing densities, so dye penetration will vary.

Best regards.

Thanks,

I didn't come up with the idea for the removable holster but thanks.

I just took the elements I liked from what I had seen online while researching different pocket holsters and the buttons did help keep the holster sitting a bit more level and not right on the back.

I really like the design and the thumb push helps if the pistol wants to stick a bit on draw. I like having options...

The second holster has no stitching at this time.

I used the newer Loctite superglue gel that says it's ok for leather and it has made a quite impressive seal/hold so far.

I had planned on sewing it but haven't gotten around to getting one of the overstitchers that marks the holes and if I do do it I want it to be right and look good.

Also the only thread I have is some waxed thick stuff from Tandy and haven't found anything smaller that I felt would hold up good since I want a thinner thread especially on the thumb push.

I have to say the Loctite added a nice dark line where it pulled some of the dye I guess giving a neat look to the edges.

As for the edges I beveled them and then began sanding first with 180 grit then 220, 330, 440, 600 and then1500 grit. Man that 1500 makes a nice edge...

Then I just wet the canvas a little and buffed the hell out of it till I got a nice shiny edge. Then redyed and sealed.

I can't wait to make another and think I want to try a IWB tuckable kinda like a supertuck for my Glock 19.

First I have to move, get settled in and get all that stuff needed for a new place and then but some proper tools.

Thanks,

Matt

So, how do you like the Diamondback .380?

The thumb push off on the pocket holsters was a Ron Graham design. It's been around for 8+ years. The snap off/snap on panel on the pocket holsters originated with my design of our 2n1 pocket holster about 7 years ago. Suggest you switch out the socket and stud on their respective pieces, opposite of the way you have it now. In other words, put the socket pieces on the panel and the studs on the holster itself. The reason for doing it that way is so the socket won't wear a hole in your pocket lining when the holster is used without the panel attached.

Starting to make holsters is a challenge. As you know, you'll receive a lot of assistance on this excellent forum. You can also learn a lot about making holsters from the Al Stohlman book, "How to Make Holsters." I used this book when I made my first holster in 1969. It's available from many leather suppliers and also from Amazon.

Good luck.

Jeff

I like my Diamondback but it has some issues I'm still working on. Been back to the manufacturer once and hoping my current issue is a mag problem and not a gun problem.

Thanks for the info on the snaps. Not a big issue for me since I will probably only carry it in my back pocket but something to think about when I make another.

I had to kinda do it that way since I had to recess the snaps on the holster part when I got line 20 snaps to go through 2 layers of 8oz leather.

It was easier to cut out enough leather to recess that side than try to get it right on the other sides snaps.

I definitely don't want to steal someones design/idea so if I do anything wrong let me know. Still new to this and don't know whats allowed in the world of leatherwork.

I looked at the Al Stohlman book when I was at Tandy but I decided to wait till I knew how I felt about working on leather and if I would make it a hobby or just something I tried once.

So far I'm hooked so it will be in my library once life settles down a bit.

Thanks guys,

Matt