Im planning out making my first belt and pretty much have my process done except for what to do with the belt loop. I notice most belts have the belt loop made out of a thinner leather. What if I only have the size leather im using for the actual belt? Any tips/methods you use for making belt loops is appreciated!

Im planning out making my first belt and pretty much have my process done except for what to do with the belt loop. I notice most belts have the belt loop made out of a thinner leather. What if I only have the size leather im using for the actual belt? Any tips/methods you use for making belt loops is appreciated!

I make my belt loops from 4 oz material 5\8ths wide or 1\2 depends on the belt width. Do you have a leather splitter? This would be the best way to split the leather.

Pretty much standard is 1/2 the width of the belt itself. ex: 2" belt=1"(wide) loops

Someone chime in if this is too general.

pete

I dont have a leather splitter but it looks like Im going to need one in the near future. Thanks for the sizing info.

I dont have a leather splitter but it looks like Im going to need one in the near future. Thanks for the sizing info.

I make my belt keepers out of 6 oz 3/4" strips. I order my strips pre cut for my belts so when I order some strips 1 1/2" wide I also order some 3/4" strips for my keepers.

All of our Keepers are made out of the same leather that our belts are made from (6/7oz) And dyed, sewn & sealed right along with the belt. 1 3/4 = 5", 1 1/2 = 4 1/2", 1 1/4 = 4" and so on.

Hope this helps.