rawhider

hondas

Heres a couple hondas I built today. A freind of mine butchered hos heifer, and he gave me the hide, so I won't need rawhide for a while. The strings are great, but I learned that it's really important to flesh the hide out very well before it dries! the moister content was so inconsistant that I took a sanding wheel on my grinder and sanded off the fat and membrane on the larger peices I still had to cut....

ANYWAY here are the pics of the hondas. The folded one is actually really nice. It really gives alot of weight to the loop.

Braided_honda.jpg

folded_honda.jpg

post-5252-1226026611_thumb.jpg

post-5252-1226026621_thumb.jpg

Those look really good. I've been wanting to make some myself. How do you go about making the folded one?

Rob

Those look really good. I've been wanting to make some myself. How do you go about making the folded one?

Rob

It's gonna be tought for me to explain in words. I've got to build some more today. I'll post a series of pics showing how it's done.

I have cut out rawhider's tutorial and pinned it here http://leatherworker.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=6036 so it won't be lost in the middle of a thread. Thanks for doing this, rawhider! We appreciate it. Denise

That's more than I could have asked for. Thank you very much for your time and efforts in putting this together.

Rob

Rawhider those look nice. Thanks for taking the time on the tut.

Mike

What exactly is a honda? Here in the UK it's slang for a cheap and nasty motorcycle LOL Looking at the pictures I'm guessing that it might be the loop in a lasso ... I'd always imagined you used some clever knot for that.

What exactly is a honda? Here in the UK it's slang for a cheap and nasty motorcycle LOL Looking at the pictures I'm guessing that it might be the loop in a lasso ... I'd always imagined you used some clever knot for that.

A honda is that loop at the top of a riata (or lariat). It's specially made to stay open, so the large loop of rope, that would go over the head of a steer when you rope it, will slide freely. It won't even tighten down when the steer hits the end of the rope... or at least, it should not. It should still stay open. People like to make them of rawhide because it has enough "life" to stay open well, and it wears well. However you can just tie one in the end of a rope, so there actually is a clever knot you can just tie to make one. Since the rest of the rope has to slide through the honda, it can wear out, so some people have come up with real clever ways to replace them once they wear out.

Heres a couple hondas I built today. A freind of mine butchered hos heifer, and he gave me the hide, so I won't need rawhide for a while. The strings are great, but I learned that it's really important to flesh the hide out very well before it dries! the moister content was so inconsistant that I took a sanding wheel on my grinder and sanded off the fat and membrane on the larger peices I still had to cut....

ANYWAY here are the pics of the hondas. The folded one is actually really nice. It really gives alot of weight to the loop.

I really like the looks of these and the other one you made. On the folded honda do you really need the bottom braided part or is that just for looks?

Seveneves, I fixed the link to Rawhider's tutorial. I don't know if your question is answered in there or not, but at least now you can find it!