Chief31794

Dobro Strap

I made this one for myself, I needed a new one and I have been studying Bob Parks book on making western floral patterns so I wanted to try and put my name in the pattern. I like the way it turned out. I'm also putting in some pictures of me playing the dobro for those who don't know what a dobro is. This is my Beard MA-6 made by Paul Beard in Rockville, Md.

Chief

post-6362-0-31116700-1419102424_thumb.jp

post-6362-0-44683200-1419102426_thumb.jp

post-6362-0-23393800-1419102428_thumb.jp

post-6362-0-66533100-1419102429_thumb.jp

Chief ----

Seems as though you do study really well ! This example of your Dobro strap is in a word "Exquisite"

Tasteful lines in small straps matching in larger straps. Tooling and Color coordination could also be used in this word.

Super effort Chief, ______________ Wild Bill46

Looks great Chief! Isn't it nice to finally have time to make something for yourself? :thumbsup:

Beautiful strap Chief. I also like the pictures of you playing the dobro.

Beautiful!!

Thanks,

Chief ----

Seems as though you do study really well ! This example of your Dobro strap is in a word "Exquisite"

Tasteful lines in small straps matching in larger straps. Tooling and Color coordination could also be used in this word.

Super effort Chief, ______________ Wild Bill46

Thanks Bill, I'm on my way to your neck of the woods tomorrow, I'll be spending Christmas with my Daughter in Powder Springs. Thanks for the nice comments. I sew liners on a lot of these and when I don't I usually try to add the creases just because I'm used to seeing the lines.

Very nice job Ken.

Tom

Thanks Tom. I appreciate the nice comments.

Looks great Chief! Isn't it nice to finally have time to make something for yourself? :thumbsup:

Yep, keep making stuff for other people, kind of feels good to make something for yourself. Thanks.

Beautiful strap Chief. I also like the pictures of you playing the dobro.

Thanks, I mentioned dobro out here a couple of times and some people didn't know what they are. There are two types Square Neck which is what this one is and Round Neck which has a lower action, is tuned and played like a regular guitar, you see a lot of blues players playing them with a bottle neck slide.

As usual Chief, beautiful work. You are certainly an inspiration to become better at this

As usual Chief, beautiful work. You are certainly an inspiration to become better at this

Thanks for the kind words,

Chief

Nice work Ken. Couple of comments and questions, 1) How do you like those "quick disconnect" clips for attaching strap to guitar? 2) How do you like Bob's book? 3) I see that you have the same barber I have! 4) All you need on that strap is a sheepskin shoulder pad ;>) All in all nice work!

Bob

Nice work Ken. Couple of comments and questions, 1) How do you like those "quick disconnect" clips for attaching strap to guitar? 2) How do you like Bob's book? 3) I see that you have the same barber I have! 4) All you need on that strap is a sheepskin shoulder pad ;>) All in all nice work!

Bob

Bob,

I don't like the plastic quick disconnects if that's what you're talking about, if you are talking about the strap lock I have mounted on this strap they are an absolute necessity in my opinion, particularly on Dobros, but I use them on basses, guitars every thing. They positively lock on the pin (not the standard pin it has to be replaced with a locking pin) and you have to pull the lock pin to disconnect the srrap from the guitar.

Love Bob's book he's a class act, I recommend that everyone get a copy for their library if they do any carving at all. Bob Parks is a class act!!!

I call my haircut "Low Maintenance" I just get up in morning and shake the hair out of my eyes and I'm ready for the day.

I am planning a guitar strap with a nice sheepskin shoulder pad, I got some extemely nice sheep's wool for padding from a super nice guy out here on the forum and I am itching to put it on something. Thanks again by the way, the sheeps wool is super nice and I really appreciate it.

Chief

Edited by Chief31794

Nice work, Chief.

You can be proud to use that strap any where any time Chief. Makes me determined to improve.

Nice work, Chief.

Thank you,

You can be proud to use that strap any where any time Chief. Makes me determined to improve.

Thanks,

Chief

Hi Ken ------------------------

I'm sorry,

I really want to say come on up and sit awhile, I really do, and you are a perminately invited guest anytime !

but this holiday we will not be at home. This has indeed been an extremely difficult holday for us to navigate.

Hopefully there will be other times ? Merry Christ-mas again to you and yours. ------------ Wild Bill46

Love it. Love me some jerry Douglas too. Any other awesome dobro players I should check out?

Hi Ken ------------------------

I'm sorry,

I really want to say come on up and sit awhile, I really do, and you are a perminately invited guest anytime !

but this holiday we will not be at home. This has indeed been an extremely difficult holday for us to navigate.

Hopefully there will be other times ? Merry Christ-mas again to you and yours. ------------ Wild Bill46

Bill, not a problem, there's no way I could get away either, i'll be back for a couple of weeks in July before heading up to North Carolina for RESOGAT to sell some dobro straps. Maybe we can get together then.

Love it. Love me some jerry Douglas too. Any other awesome dobro players I should check out?

Great Dobro Players in no particular order:

Mike Auldridge (Best of all time, we lost him last year), he played with the Seldom Scene quite a bit, you can see him with them or on his own.

Gene Wooten (played with the Country Gazette and the Osborne Brothers, he's gone as well)

Josh Graves (Father of modern dobro playing)

Pete "Oswald" KIrby (Bashful Brother Oswald)

Now for still living:

Rob Ickes

Phil Ledbetter

Leroy McNees (He was the dobro player on the Andy Griffith show when they had one)

Jerry Douglas

Johnny Bellar

Some others but that's a pretty good sampling. The best would be Mike Auldridge, Jerry Douglas, Pete Kirby, and Josh Graves.

Chief

Man Chief that's a great list! Seldom Scene is awesome. I just didn't know the dobro player's name! I've also heard of Rob Ickes. He's a beast. I'll have to check out the others you listed!

Thanks,

Joe