mtrain17

Lacing Sizes And Lacing Hole Sizes

Hi all,

I am very new to leatherworking and have completed about six kits. I am interested in beginning a leather project from scratch.

I have a couple of questions when it comes to lacing.

When it comes to lacing hole sizes and spacing between holes I was wondering if it mattered much? To be clearer, do all multi-prong hole punches have the same spacing between each prong?

How do I know how many SPI I should use for a project? Or is it just personal preference?

I've noticed round hole punches and slot punches for lacing are sometimes measured 3/32". Does this mean I have to use lace that is 3/32" inches wide?

I apologize for the slew of questions, I'm just having a hard time finding information online about this.

I really love working with leather and am excited about moving on from kits.

Thank you

I'm not sure there is a "standard" but I'll take a swing at your questions.

1. The spacing of the holes does matter as to appearance, I normally space holes for 3/32" lace used to round braid at 1/8" apart on center and punch them with a No. 00 punch. I don't use multiple punces because they don't hold their alignment well enough to suit me. On larger projects where I will be using 1/8" lace I space them 5/32" apart and use a No. 0 punch. Either should be approximately the same distance from the edge as the hole spacing, this is measured to outside edge of the hole.

2. If I'm going to use a double loop lace, then I use a thonging chisel in the size for the width lace I'm using and the measurement from the edge is the same distance as the spacing.

These are the measurements I use, there may be others that use different measurements, these work for me and I'm sure theirs work for them. Best you do some samples and use trial and error to discover what you want to use before punching an actual project.

Chief

I usually use 1/8th" lace and 3/32nd slits. My opinion is round holes are for round lace, flat holes are for flat lace (there are a few exceptions). The tighter and closer the holes, the better it looks. Also, I punch about 1/8th" from the edge.

post-2349-0-95527700-1382330564_thumb.jp

post-2349-0-16915000-1382330593_thumb.jp

Electrathon can you please discuss what you see as the exceptions? I know that you agreed to round holes on a bike seat in another thread, but I am not sure exactly why. I got the impression that it had to do with how much strain the leather would be under.

Electrathon can you please discuss what you see as the exceptions? I know that you agreed to round holes on a bike seat in another thread, but I am not sure exactly why. I got the impression that it had to do with how much strain the leather would be under.

The exceptions that I know of are things that the lace comes in from two directions (bike seats with surface lace, Mexican round braid, etc). To me it looks tacky to have the gaposis around the lace that round holes cause. I hear a lot of comments about the leather will tear out with slits, but I feel this is only in rare to extreme cases. When sewing with a leather needle (or awl hand sewing) you are punching slits and to my knowledge there is not a lot of worry that the leather will tear out from sewing with slits.

Electrathon. What is that 2 lace pattern called? I feel I need to figure it out, watch a video, read the instrctions. I dont know what I will use it on but its beautiful. Great work.

Electrathon. What is that 2 lace pattern called? I feel I need to figure it out, watch a video, read the instrctions. I dont know what I will use it on but its beautiful. Great work.

Double loop two tone lace. It is really almost identical to normal double loop lacing, but you go back and forth between two laces instead of just one.

image.jpg

post-2349-0-21993800-1394916288_thumb.jp

Thank you Electrathon.

I know I sometimes come up a day late, and a dollar short, .

But,

I wanted to compliment both Electrathon and Chief on their most beautiful lacing,

In double loop with and/or multi colored, and their mexican braiding. My optimum word for you both would be, Exquisite !

Too,

Thanks for your helping those of us less experienced. Hooray guys !

The main trick issue to good lacing is consistency. Punch your holes straight and spaced even. Pull the lacing snug but not over tight. Use quality lace, preferably kangaroo. Wax your lace, I usually use paraffin. I punch my holes 3/32 and use 1/8 lace to help keep it all packed in tight. Practice.

Aaron

Thank you everyone,

I will soon be posting my finished projects up here. I appreciate all the help

Sorry to dredge up the dead, but I am getting to a point where I could try lacing. I got some 3mm flat lace, only to discover that my chisel is 2mm. I wish I knew about waxing the lace first, it might have made it easier. Anyways, I just got a 1 prong 3mm chisel, and would like to know whether horizontal or diagonal slits are better? Would 1/8" spacing from the edge and between the slits still apply?

You really don't want horizontal [parallel] to the edge of the leather. Under any strain they act like the perforations on the edge of a postage stamp

Angled or perpendicular to the edge of the leather is better. You'll find the multi-prong lacing chisels have the prongs at an angle

3mm from the edge. Distance between is commonly the same as the width of the lace. 3mm lace - 3mm spacing, 4mm lace = 4mm spacing --------- but you can do any spacing you want. I once made a copy of a medieval belt pouch; I copied the lacing pattern along the top. It was 3mm [1/8th inch] lace - out the front, across for 4mm, in towards the rear and the next slit was 8mm, out the front, across for 4mm, etcetera