Today I was in a craft store (where I took a basic airbrush class a few weeks ago) and they sell a couple different brands of "airbrush" acrylic paints (Cretex & Testor). Is "airbrush acrylics" what folks here are using? Or are you buying acrylics not specifically designated for airbrushs and just thinning them (thinner or water) to what will work in your airbrush? I know some folks use Delta and thanks to Kate, I learned about acrylic thinner. Before today, I didn't know there was "airbrush acrylics" so.......what do you use on leather?

Thanks,

Regis

I have used many of them but, when I use them, I prefer the real acrylics that come in a tube and dilute them down.

I never liked airbrushing createx acrylics. Even when you thin to consistancy of milk, you have to constantly clean the needle and tip because the stuff dries so fast. Never tried any other different brands.

I have used the Createx paints. The "transparent" paints are not acrylic, but latex-based. The "pearlized" paints probably are acrylic, but oddly enough, I've mostly hand-brushed those. For airbrushing, I've just used the regular acrylics that have be diluted.

There are also some "airbrush cleaners" you can buy that do a better job of cleaning the gunk out of your airbrush after using acrylics in it. (Regis - I haven't gotten to try the Ammonia Windex yet.)

Kate

i just use regular acylics thinned with water. Createx has to be heat set using heat gun, hair dryer or iron. The better quality acylics dont lose their color when thinned.

Disclaimer - I don't airbrush, but have been looking into it lately because of posts in this forum.

One thing I found that I thought would be useful (or maybe not, given the comments here on Createx) is a paint buyers guide on the Airbrush Action site:

http://www.airbrushaction.com/pdfs/aba_2007_PBG.pdf

I don't see any pattern regarding paint types as it relates to leather in this guide (Createx "acrylic" is listed as usable for leather, for example, while several other acyrlics are not). Still, it has a lot of information.

Bill

Roo, I think Createx paints only require heat setting when using them on fabrics. Here's what I read on the labels of both the "transparent" and the "pearlized" Createx paints:

Shake well before using. When sparying , use of a mask is recommended. For permanence on fabrics: Heatset with a hot iron for 2 minutes, or shirt press 15 seconds. All other surfaces permanent when dry. May be diluted with water.

Maybe I'm not interpreting this right... and I'm not sure what the difference would be between fabric and leather, but I do know that if I put it on too thick or heavy, it can crack and peel or rub off after it dries. If I thin it enough to absorb easily into the leather, it seems to stay on quite well, and I've never done the heat set thing. I suppose I could reconsider if someone sent back an item I made that was in use a couple of years, and I found that the paint was coming off over time.

Kate

i just use regular acylics thinned with water. Createx has to be heat set using heat gun, hair dryer or iron. The better quality acylics dont lose their color when thinned.