medsar

Workbench Advice

I hope I put this in the right sub-forum....

I am looking into getting a new workbench using industrial metal legs (6k lb rating) and I am curious about y'alls thoughts on the surface/top for the bench. I have the option for pressboard, 'hardwood' and butcher block maple (I nixed the plastic and metal surface). My first thought is to get the butcher block maple, but is that necessary? BTW, I have a 7.5x20x3" thick slab o granite for tooling. So what do y'all think?

I don't know where you live but around here there are a bunch of TAP plastic shops. You can get HDPE sheets (cutting board material) 1/8" thick cut to whatever size your table is. Then you just screw it down onto your table and you have an instant cutting surface. Not terribly expensive either.

Andrew

Given the choice, I'd go for the butcher block. It's a solid and dense surface. That added to your granite and you'll have little to no bounce and probably very little noise. Plus, if you're ever in a situation where your granite isn't handy, it may work for the quick touch up here and there.