slipangle

Hand Made Stitching Awl Hafts ~ Phase 2

Hi everyone,

I've been working on some more awl hafts over the last couple of months. At the moment, I have 3 available. And a couple more in the works. These all have old growth rosewood handles, nickel silver collars and a collet/chuck that I get from L.S. Starrett tools. A very high quality chuck. All include a Vergez-Blanchard 43 mm diamond shaped blade with a preliminary sharpening on it.

Some of these awls are slightly longer than others. I've tried to make a couple of them with shorter handles based on requests from some folks who like the butt end of the handle to sit in the middle of the palm. Some have grooves adorning the wood, some are plain with no grooves. I've decided to dispense with the little nickel silver alignment "spot" I put in some earlier handles as I question its practical usefulness, but will add one to any awl for an additional $10. They involve a lot of extra work.

If interested in an awl, please send me a personal message. And please refer to the number attached to each awl haft so I know which one you want. All are priced at $90, which includes free shipping in the continental US. I'm trying to keep the price of these the same. I know it's a lot for a tool. But then, I look at what Leather Wranglers is charging for one of their awls, made with domestic hardwoods and think maybe I'm not charging enough. But I'm trying to keep them somewhat affordable for folks who are interested in a one-of-a-kind, hand made tool.

Thanks

This is #15. Length from butt end to tip of chuck is 4 1/4 inches. Width of handle is 1 1/8.

Smooth, un-adorned handle.

awl%2015-2_zps9ysn4rer.jpg

Awl%2015-1_zpshdyfqygw.jpg

awl%2015-3_zpsxtah0lkw.jpg

This is #16. Length is 4 inches. Width is 1 1/8. Three grooves in butt of handle with one groove cut in finger rest. This slightly shorter haft is meant to be held in the center of the palm with fingers on the forward end of the finger rest bulge. A comfortable position, I've found.

awl%2016-2_zpslvextqyc.jpg

awl%2016-1_zpsbc7sr5mz.jpg

awl%2016-3_zpsvzgughrt.jpg

Number 17. Length is 4 1/8 overall. Width is 1 1/8. Smooth, un-adormed handle.

awl%2017-1_zpsbewwkrgu.jpg

awl%2017-2_zpsxm9yzokh.jpg

awl%2017-3_zpshylb1n2s.jpg

I like your work, looks very nice. The Starrett collets are good. The only issue I see is a flat spot for your thumb to rest and hold the awl in alignment is invaluable. The spots you had before are ok, but you have to constantly look. A flat spot holds it perfectly without looking. Also it keeps it from rolling and hit tong the floor.

I think your price is inline. Nice work.

Thanks for the input Electrathon. I've considered the flat spot. Several times. Thing is, after I do all the work on these, shaping, sanding and then polishing, I just can't bring myself to take the wood to a belt sander and sanding a flat spot on the handle. Not sure how I'd do a flat spot for the thumb when I'm turning these in the old pattern, as in Gomph or Osborne tools. But good food for thought.

By the way, I should mention, I have a heckuva time taking good photos of these, trying to show the detail, and the grain of the wood. I purposely over-exposed these shots a bit. Otherwise it's hard to see the wood. Also, these pics show the wood as more reddish than it actually is. True color has more browns to it. And, as with all rosewoods, this wood darkens slightly over time.

#16 is SOLD. Thank you.

I received my awl last night and I am very pleased with the craftsmanship. It has a nice weight to it and the construction is very solid. It's also a gorgeous tool that will easily become my favorite. Here are some pics:

Yj1X7AK.jpg

tpVMquZ.jpg

jFsrBOT.jpgWHxq5Km.jpg

WD3T0TQ.jpg

Edited by RStevenson

Thank you, R Stevenson. Glad you like it! I appreciate your business.

By the way, RS's pictures here show the color of the wood much better than my photos.

Not sure why my pics came out so reddish. Maybe I can fix that.

Thanks, R.

#17 is SOLD. Thank you.

A couple of members had tried to contact me at the beginning of the month. My apologies for not getting back to you. I was out of the country for a couple of weeks and not in range of a connection most of the time so I'm just now seeing some messages.

Sorry for the delay. And thanks again to those of you who have showed an interest in the awls.

Scott