Tolior

Leather Molding

So, I am very new to everything leatherworking. (and I am largely teaching myself, as I don't have any friends who are leatherworkers.

One thing I am trying to do is leather molding. I know nothing about it nor how to do it. Basically I want to know anything and everything on how I can get started.

Thanks!

What are you trying to mold? Short answer is you get it wet, stretch it into the shape you want it. What you want to make will affect how you do it.

The first thing I'm looking to make is a simply sheath for a small flashlight of mine. (led lenser F1). It's pretty small, only about 8 or 9cm. I'm thinking a paddle style holster, but I'm not sure yet. Any suggestions would be more than welcome.

An 8 or 9 cm flashlight is over 3 inches in diameter.

You will want at least 5 oz leather, . . . maybe as thick as 7/8 for a good rugged flashlight holder.

Make it like the little drawing.

May God bless,

Dwight

post-6728-0-85830500-1388664739_thumb.jp

Electrathon pretty much summed it up. I'm also self teaching and some sources that I found helpful were a book called The Art of Making Leather Cases Vol 1 by Al Stohlman, and Ian Atkinson's YouTube channel.

You know...it's just not that important and no one would care about what I was going to say anyway. Nevermind.

Edited by TXAG

Wet the leather in warm water a few seconds. Let it sit for a few minutes, you can let it sit longer if you put it in a plastic bag. Put the item in the holster, or mold the leather to the item with your thumbs. Toothbrush handles work well if they are smooth too. Once you are done put it on a shoe rack in the dryer and dry it on high for 30 minutes to stiffen the leather.

First though, figure out if you are going to stitch the holster and force the light into it. Or mold the holster and stitch it after.

I would probably mold it first, and then stitch it.

Is the process much different?

Actually that is the process I have always used, . . . it has never failed me yet.

When it is dry, . . . I cement the pieces together, . . . re-test the fit, . . . sew, . . . and finish.

But that is just one way to do it, . . . kinda like making soup, . . . all kinds of recipes.

May God bless,

Dwight

Good news is you get the stitch lines right. I do all of my holsters like that too.

Cut the back piece the exact size you want to finish with. Cut the front larger to give yourself some wiggle room. Mold front. Then position it where you want it on the back piece. Mark it for the correct position and glue it. Cut it to final size. Edge the edges. Set your stitch lines. Awl and stitch. Dye. Finish.

That's pretty close to my process.

Good news is you get the stitch lines right. I do all of my holsters like that too.

Cut the back piece the exact size you want to finish with. Cut the front larger to give yourself some wiggle room. Mold front. Then position it where you want it on the back piece. Mark it for the correct position and glue it. Cut it to final size. Edge the edges. Set your stitch lines. Awl and stitch. Dye. Finish.

That's pretty close to my process.

The only difference, . . . I will sew down one side first, . . . sight track side mostly, . . . then only wet the "front", . . . which gives most of my hosters a flatter if not flat back, . . . which to me is more comfortable (I'm a bony old rascal with not much padding :lol: ).

On my "fold overs", . . . I just wet the front piece, . . . when it's all dry, . . . complete it.

May God bless,

Dwight

Now if you could just give me the secret to stitching the trigger side with a BOSS and get the foot to turn away from the frame. I can't get it to turn with the mold in the way and seem to throw too much slack in the thread trying to wiggle, move, and side stitch it. I might have to start a thread on that.

Heavy molding ,..I'll soak in hot water,..then oven dry on low temp. Light molding,..I'll just wet with a rag,..like extreme casing,...and let air dry to shape. I have made templates from wood that I use for cases, mag pouches and such,..wet leather,...clamp it in the templates until dry....

I am trying to start attempting to do some leather molding. Does everyone purchase the wood molds of create them? I can not see myself creating wood blocks to mold with. Thank you

They actually are very simple to make in most cases. My first one was for a .45 magazine carrier, . . . had it working in about 1/2 hour.

PM me if you want, . . . with some "ideas" as to what you want to mold, . . . dimensions / description / etc. I'll give you an idea on a price for a mold if you don't want to make it yourself.

May God bless,

Dwight

Thank you Dwight. I am just starting to venture into this and would like to start out with just basic things. So you build, and sand wood blocks to create to replica your projects?

I know for things such as guns, knives etc, could possibly just mold around them but items such as purses etc seems to be a project in itself to just create the mold.

Thanks

Most make their own or have them made for them. I have a friend who is a wood worker and trade leatherwork for woodwork.

In addition to the excellent advice and video link, here, I highly recommend two books: The Art of Making Leather Cases (volume one) by Al Stohlman and The Leatherworking Handbook by Valery Michael.

So you build, and sand wood blocks to create to replica your projects?

Look at this little drawing: the green and grey is called the male mold, the orange and blue is the female.

It will make an item like a little dish with an edge.

The male is made to the exact dimension you want of the depth of the dish, . . . and the diameter of the opening in the dish.

The female is made to those same dimensions, . . . except the hole has to be increased in diameter by twice the thickness of the leather.

If this were a 6 inch dish we are making, . . . 1/2 inch deep, . . . making it out of 8 oz leather, . . . the male mold would be 6 inches in diameter, . . . and 1/2 inch tall. The female circle/hole would be also 1/2 inch deep, . . . but would be 6 and 1/4 inches in diameter.

Get the leather real good soppy wet, . . . lay it over the male mold, . . . force the female mold down around the leather covering the male, . . . clamp all four corners, . . . leave it for a couple of hours, . . . remove the clamps, . . . gently slip off the leather, . . . place it near a fan or in a drying oven, . . . when it is dry, . . . trim the outside edges to the size you wanted.

Remember when you make a mold, . . . any imperfections in the mold will be transmitted to the leather, . . . so sand it good. I don't put any finish on my molds, . . . wanting the wood to leach out the water from the leather, . . . and that works really well.

Have fun, may God bless,

Dwight

post-6728-0-89205200-1402141643_thumb.jp

Thanks Bob, I will definately get those books and do some research.

Dwight, that helped alot, thank you so much for taking the time to explain it to me.

I am excited to design one (probably small project) and see what I can do..

:spoton:

I have played around with some molding in the past but this is a photo of my first serious project for a customer. I used a cross between a tecnique shown in Stohlman's book and the method that Dwight has shown.

I don't know why this image appears sideways but if you click on it, it will correct itself.

post-33768-0-51611900-1402166828_thumb.j

Have fun!