Hey guys I read a while back that you can thin feibings dye (the regular stuff) with denatured alcohol. So I have been doing that for some time now and it works fine, however it doesnt seem to give me the finish I am looking for most of the time.

I have heard of adding some neats foot to the thinned dye which makes it kind of like the feibings oil dyes. However with the denatured alcohol it doesnt mix with the oil.

So how do you guys go about doing this. I have also heard of using rubbing alcohol to mix with your dye's. Does this mix with the oil better?

Thanks for any input.

Hey guys I read a while back that you can thin feibings dye (the regular stuff) with denatured alcohol. So I have been doing that for some time now and it works fine, however it doesnt seem to give me the finish I am looking for most of the time.

I have heard of adding some neats foot to the thinned dye which makes it kind of like the feibings oil dyes. However with the denatured alcohol it doesnt mix with the oil.

So how do you guys go about doing this. I have also heard of using rubbing alcohol to mix with your dye's. Does this mix with the oil better?

Thanks for any input.

I think there's a little miscommunication on this. Oil dye, isn't really 'oil' dye. It is still an alcohol based dye. Just a little purer dye and better alcohol.

Gotcha thanks Marlon.

Also, dye will not give you a finish, at all.

After most dyes, the leather will be very dull.

Just see what happens once you apply Dr Jackson's or Aussie or Dubbin over the dye! Magic! That is when the water and dye dried leather gets its new life and the oils are being put back ...

Marlon....what's your take on Fiebings alcohol dye and their oil dye.?? What's the difference in the results? Which do you prefer and why?

Thanks...I know I''m asking a lot so early in the morning.

R

Marlon....what's your take on Fiebings alcohol dye and their oil dye.?? What's the difference in the results? Which do you prefer and why?

Thanks...I know I''m asking a lot so early in the morning.

R

Depends on the application. I prefer the oil dye on my edges, and the regular spirit dyes for general coloring. The oil dye has a deeper penetration and tends to last much longer on the edges. I like them both equally, just in different respects.

M.

Good evening all, I have been lokking for information on the respective properties of "oil" and "spirit" dyes for years.

I have learnt more from you Marlon in the last five minutes than from anyone else. Thank you.

Now having decided to dilute with say Industrial Methylated Spirits, the one without blue dye, to what extent should one dilute?

1:1, 1:2 etc.

I think there's a little miscommunication on this. Oil dye, isn't really 'oil' dye. It is still an alcohol based dye. Just a little purer dye and better alcohol.

Is there any reason why it is named Oil Dye ?

Good evening all, I have been lokking for information on the respective properties of "oil" and "spirit" dyes for years.

I have learnt more from you Marlon in the last five minutes than from anyone else. Thank you.

Now having decided to dilute with say Industrial Methylated Spirits, the one without blue dye, to what extent should one dilute?

1:1, 1:2 etc.

I dilute with my eyes so to speak. I only dilute for a specific project. I place pure dye in one well on a paint/dye tray, then I put the alcohol in another well right next to it. Then I dip my dye brush in the dye and bring it over to the alcohol.... mix it up and test it on scrap leather. I keep repeating this until I get the shade I want...

Is there any reason why it is named Oil Dye ?

I can't remember why the term 'oil' is in the name. I learned that tid bit from Peter Main. It may be that the dye-stuffs used to make it are derived from something oil based...however, it's still suspended in alcohol.

Cheers.