Dagr

What other hobbies do you have?

wizard1.jpgsgcross1.jpgjewelcross1.jpgDSCN00022.JPG

Ok, other than beating dead cow, fully armored combat, and ren faires, I dabble a little bit with counted cross stitch. Yeah yeah, I know ppppppp But, picture this, a big burly guy in full plate armor, sitting with all the pretty girls, cross stitching. :)

Sorry, not the greatest pictures.

post-6574-1210366514_thumb.jpg

post-6574-1210366541_thumb.jpg

post-6574-1210366555_thumb.jpg

post-6574-1210366580_thumb.jpg

That's great work! And an interesting way to meet the girls, huh? There was a mail man at the college in NJ where I used to work, who knitted baby blankets for all the expectant moms on the staff. Guys can do really well with what is often considered "women's work". Look at all the great chefs!

As to me, aside from leatherwork, I enjoy drawing and painting (though I don't do it as often as I used to). I'm a nut about gardening (flowering plants) too.

Besides my leather addiction, I do a little photography - macro shots are my favorite.

I play western swing and jazz on mandolin, fiddle and keyboards as well as teach golf.

pete

Dagr,

Well we all have our ways to meeting the opposite sex..... LOL

Besides leather work I do a bit of Scroll saw work and have played with chip carving, wood spirits carving, wood turning, architectural wood carving and chain saw carving and a furniture building class. Great way to hang out with guys!

Since I'm old and married, my wife says I can't go play with the gals! LOL.

But she used to let me go to the hills with a friend, (long time and well trusted friend by the way!) and gather his cattle every fall. I woud come home and draw and paint western cowboy pictures while I let the hide grow back from my adventure, (or misadventure, however you want to look at it.) I also have made old Spanish/Calfornia style bits and spurs with some sucess. I love working in both metal and leather.

Apart from horses and dogs,some of my past obsessions have included silver jewelry making, stained glass, sculpture, woodworking, furniture refinishing, and that's just a tiny sample....never got any good at any of them. It always seems that something else pops up that is too interesting not to learn. Trouble is that every craft requires specialized and expensive tools. No wonder I've been broke all my life.

For the past 10 years is been leather for breakfast, lunch and dinner. I'd say that not an hour goes by that I'm not thinking about, or working on some aspect of it.

Wow - you guys do some cool stuff!

I like to drive. Sometimes I say "I drive my horses crazy" which is probably true... but what I mean by driving is this:

robyngravespoker.jpg

We're about to enter our first competition, an ADT (American Driving Trial) the end of the month. Should be really fun!

post-5309-1210373770_thumb.jpg

I love building stuff with me hands, prob one of the reasons i like leather work so much. I've twisted a bit of steel in my day which lead me to making fun toys.

My very first mini. Made a jig and did it all, frame, tank , all. I call it practice cause when i find it, i'll get it and bob it me self !

ready4paint04sm.jpg ready4paint01.jpg

Then i wanted a little some speed and SSS so i started my next one. Still not done, life put this one on hold. I think i'm about ready to finish it up now. Pretty much just got make a springer front end and brakes.

belt03s.jpg belt01bb.jpg

redonesss04.jpg

I got a Barstool racer in the works also.

Then when it rains me and my daughter like to go get muddy.

mudd02.jpg mudd01.jpg

Then we wash up and Jam for a while

rockin01a.jpg rockin03a.jpg

rockin04a.jpg

But i think i want to go drivin with Horsehairbraider. Cause that looks freak fun and cool !!!

And i'm real good and pickin my nose at red lights, green lights, bank lines...well anywhere i guess. Just pick and flick...

post-158-1210374538_thumb.jpg

post-158-1210374574_thumb.jpg

post-158-1210374777_thumb.jpg

post-158-1210374819_thumb.jpg

post-158-1210375081_thumb.jpg

post-158-1210375442_thumb.jpg

post-158-1210375476_thumb.jpg

post-158-1210375591_thumb.jpg

post-158-1210375614_thumb.jpg

post-158-1210375641_thumb.jpg

I collect old books, mostly Will James, cowboy poetry, old California, western biographies, Charlie Russell, Robert Service, Banjo Paterson, and Will Ogilvie poetry. Thanks to my pal Harvey's suggestion, the buffalo (bison) skull has prominant place in the bookshelves. When I am not doing anything else, I am harassing rainbows at Lake Alpine, or browns in the Walker River.

Copy_of_IMG_0051__Small_.jpg

Copy_of_IMG_0049__Small_.jpg

Copy_of_IMG_0124__Small_.jpg

post-29-1210379544_thumb.jpg

post-29-1210379558_thumb.jpg

post-29-1210379577_thumb.jpg

Besides leather working I do some amateur astronomy (have an 8" diameter SCT telescope), photography, target shooting, and play with computers. Used to make giant scale gas engine powered radio controlled airplanes, have done model railroads, cowboy action shooting (back gave out and I had to give it up, sure do miss it), wedding and model photography. Living in Seattle, WA doesn't give me much chance to do astronomy but every once in awhile the sky clears up enough so I can get a good view of the moon, Jupiter, Saturn, Mars, Venus, and the Sun (have to use a special filter so you don't burn out your eyes), different galaxies and nebulas.

John

When I am healthy, I weight lift. Also when I am healthy I work on and drag race my old Firebird......

jeffppp.jpg00011ppp.jpgPICT0073ppp.JPGPICT0006ppp.JPG

post-5889-1210384042_thumb.jpg

post-5889-1210384060_thumb.jpg

post-5889-1210384079_thumb.jpg

post-5889-1210384097_thumb.jpg

I like to do some sport shooting at a local range, dabble with computers, and when I get a long porch pass, head to the beach to do some surf fishing with my fly rod. I tie my own, and it's really satifying to catch fish with 'bait' you've made yourself.

well when i am not working on a collar/leash order for my client i have dogs and horses to work. have two quarter horses to break this year. i also show my beaucerons in akc dog shows and play with them in agility and soon to come flyball.

My other hobbies are many.Building furniture and other wood stuff,playing with my plasma cutter making metal yard art, photography,gardening both flowers and vegetables,fishing for cat fish, shooting pool, customizing my old 75 Ford truck, pottery both hand building and throwing on the wheel,knot tying or braiding knots,rock collecting and least we forget people watching and going to art/craft shows.

WINDY

Coffee_Table_Walnut_with_Cabriole_Legs.jpg

Wall_Table_Chalice.JPG

Walnut_Bench_3.JPG

Hand_Carved_Spoons_Bubinga_and_Zebrawood.jpg

Moose.JPG

Monster_Bowl_1.jpg

post-5855-1210396960_thumb.jpg

post-5855-1210396988_thumb.jpg

post-5855-1210397163_thumb.jpg

post-5855-1210397220_thumb.jpg

post-5855-1210397345_thumb.jpg

post-5855-1210397519_thumb.jpg

well when i am not working on a collar/leash order for my client i have dogs and horses to work. have two quarter horses to break this year. i also show my beaucerons in akc dog shows and play with them in agility and soon to come flyball.

What are Beaucerons?

Tony.

I also like to do counted cross stitch, but don't seem to have a lot of time so it takes a while to get a piece done. Just the backstitching to do on the one I have been working on for 3-4 years. My favorite is framed and on our wall. It took me 5 years to finish. Too bad it is a donkey and not a horse, but I am not artistic enough to change it.

P5090043.JPG P5090042.JPG

post-5669-1210399172_thumb.jpg

post-5669-1210399278_thumb.jpg

I like to do some sport shooting at a local range, dabble with computers, and when I get a long porch pass, head to the beach to do some surf fishing with my fly rod. I tie my own, and it's really satifying to catch fish with 'bait' you've made yourself.

What type of shooting do you do? I'm a target shooter and so are my wife and children. We all shoot ISSF pistol matches and have been for years. My wife is the State Coach. Luckily, we only live about 100 yards from the range. Wife and daughter still show horses but my son and I have better sense, too much work for so little return. I reckon if you're going to have a horse it may as well be a racehorse as you may get something back!

Tony.

Besides my leather addiction, I do a little photography - macro shots are my favorite.

Me too, I like to shoot my clean armpits... :rofl:

Butt not in macro since I use extension tubes for my 100-400mm lens. Nature and wildlife is my favourite, strolling in the woods is just so darn nice, could be a hobby of it's own really.

I love fishing too. Pike, trout and eels mostly, eels would be best if they were'nt so hard to find.

Love my heavy metal music and wish I had more money to collect albums and rare stuff.

I got so many interests I gotta stop here.

Tom

Edit: wow, Dagr! Those dragons are really nice, what a talent!

Edited by TomSwede

wizard1.jpgsgcross1.jpgjewelcross1.jpgDSCN00022.JPG

Ok, other than beating dead cow, fully armored combat, and ren faires, I dabble a little bit with counted cross stitch. Yeah yeah, I know ppppppp But, picture this, a big burly guy in full plate armor, sitting with all the pretty girls, cross stitching. :)

Sorry, not the greatest pictures.

Ha ha a love tactician, knight of the sowing circle, does your patience pay off? LOL

I have tried cross stitch to, although I would never admit it to friends. I rescue bats, do some woodland survivalism (off beat camping) but not offen enough, I roleplay (still, I know its a bit sad but It means I keep in touch with friends from 22 years ago), I carve spoons, nothing elaborate but relaxing when I don't carve my fingers instead. I read several books at a time..... OMG I am a nerd!

lol

What a great subject! It's fun seeing what everyone likes to do, except for freak flinging . . . well, you know. Besides my yaks, I like having pigs and horses and chickens around. I'm also a collector of sorts. There are a million little piggy things in and around my house. I also like to collect skulls. I have big skulls, little skulls, nice skulls, rotten skulls. I even have a yak skull!

skull9.jpg

skull10.jpg

This is a bull elk I found in the forest behind our house. Spoils from a hunt, I assume. The antlers were sawed off. Bull elk have thick skulls like some men I know.

skull8.jpg

Catfish, cat and squirrel

skull7.jpg

Antelope and deer

skull6.jpg

Coyote

skull5.jpg

Silver fox

skull4.jpg

Pig. Someone cooked him. No, it wasn't me!

skull2.jpg

Racoons

skull3.jpg

Beaver

skull1.jpg

Cow. I have 3 of these.

I had a horse skull once, too. I found it 2 or 3 miles from home while out riding my horse as a teenager (last year, I think). It wasn't easy lugging that big thing back on top of my horse, and the horse seemed concerned. Then my father took it to the dump! All that work for nothing!

post-1462-1210433480_thumb.jpg

post-1462-1210433661_thumb.jpg

post-1462-1210433854_thumb.jpg

post-1462-1210433972_thumb.jpg

post-1462-1210434093_thumb.jpg

post-1462-1210434299_thumb.jpg

post-1462-1210434389_thumb.jpg

post-1462-1210434497_thumb.jpg

post-1462-1210434638_thumb.jpg

post-1462-1210434732_thumb.jpg

That's one neat skull collection you have there, Kathy!

Other hobbies... hmmm... photography, beading (mostly indian loom) and drawing (just for the fun of holding a pencil though 'cause I ain't good at all).

What a great subject! It's fun seeing what everyone likes to do, except for freak flinging . . . well, you know. Besides my yaks, I like having pigs and horses and chickens around. I'm also a collector of sorts. There are a million little piggy things in and around my house. I also like to collect skulls. I have big skulls, little skulls, nice skulls, rotten skulls. I even have a yak skull!

skull9.jpg

skull10.jpg

This is a bull elk I found in the forest behind our house. Spoils from a hunt, I assume. The antlers were sawed off. Bull elk have thick skulls like some men I know.

skull8.jpg

Catfish, cat and squirrel

skull7.jpg

Antelope and deer

skull6.jpg

Coyote

skull5.jpg

Silver fox

skull4.jpg

Pig. Someone cooked him. No, it wasn't me!

skull2.jpg

Racoons

skull3.jpg

Beaver

skull1.jpg

Cow. I have 3 of these.

I had a horse skull once, too. I found it 2 or 3 miles from home while out riding my horse as a teenager (last year, I think). It wasn't easy lugging that big thing back on top of my horse, and the horse seemed concerned. Then my father took it to the dump! All that work for nothing!

Oooooh. I wouldn't want to make you angry. :)

fun topic...

I too collect old books (and new) books - mostly about the west, but I have some old Hardy Boys too. I have some oldish Will James, a signed J. Frank Dobie and some Charlie Russell books... and almost every book that Elmer Kelton has written, including some old ones he wrote under a pen name before he became famous. Mom was a librarian and I love books. Wish today's kids (including mine) could relate to books...

I also do lots of outdoor stuff - hiking, mountain biking, canoeing, etc. And I periodically restore and ride old BMX bikes... that's the one that strikes most folks (including my family) as a bit weird, but it takes me back to my days as a kid when we lived on our bikes.

robert

I enjoy doing other artwork such as painting, drawing etc but not much time for any of that anymore. If I'm not pounding leather I'm usually riding or working my horses. Also camping with the horses. I finished rebuilding an old motorcycle a while back. I also enjoy going target shooting with my guns. Of course the best is spending time with my wife, family and friends.

ArtS