So I needed a nice orange but couldn't find it at my supplier so I got meself some Fiebing yellow oil dyeand Fiebengs red counterpart and mixed as follows:

10 ml yellow

1,5 ml red

3 ml alcohol thinner

Ml's (milliliters) is really small parts so it can just be switched to the preffered measuring unit that will give a small doze for testing.

I wanted to create a some crayon like effect with this since the receiver is somewhat of a painter artist. He doesn't even know he'll be getting this item so I thought it'll be a nice treat. I also needed it to have some sort of smoothing out and colour enhancer so did it like this:

Painted my orange brew on carefully with the type of big brush that ladies apply some sort of powder to their cheeks with. Just dip it in the dye, shake off and just painting it on with fast movement, like you do with crayons. The brush don't hold colour to well so that causes a very straky effect. To bad I did not take photo at this point but I stopped when it looked very streaky and halfruined, lol.

Now it was more of a yellow base with red and orange crayon effect, now to create a more subtile effect of this a I applied a thin layer of saddletan about 5-10 mins after the dyeing to sorta smooth things out. Let it sit about 5 mins and wiped off with a damp cloth.

Voila'!

The handle seen is done the same way but applied with a medium sized artists brush, just randomly dabbled it on and finished with antiquing.

At no point whatsoever have I used any sealers here. Just the dyes.

It seems like the yellow and red want to separate a bit when it comes on to the leather (like if you smash a tomato onto the floor and the edges of the splat has thinner substance and more shinethrough from surface below and the center is more red since there's more substance, hard to explain but something like this) and that's why I wanted to share this tip with you, it can probably produce some nice effects if applied creatively.

Tom

IMG_6490_01.jpg

IMG_6491_01.jpg

IMG_6492_01.jpg

post-5146-1209612361_thumb.jpg

post-5146-1209612374_thumb.jpg

post-5146-1209612388_thumb.jpg

I see what you mean about the separation. But overall appearance has a very nice texture to it. That braided handle is gorgous!

Kate

Thank you Kate! Nice to have you reply to this since, from what I've seen, you're really good with them dyes and I think with the amplitude of difficultness with dyes it's important to share our good findings.

I can tell you that the the passage where the orange ShirleyZ braid goes over to attach to bottom leather was a nightmare to do but at least I now that the last thing to come off this tube is the handle, lol.

Tom

Edited by TomSwede

Tom, very nice effect, but I have to ask; Do you smash tomatoes on the floor very often? lol

Tom, very nice effect, but I have to ask; Do you smash tomatoes on the floor very often? lol

!!! Don't you do that?? Everybody here's agreed that it gives the floor best burnish ever, lol

No but seriously, I went out in my kitchen and emptied all the stuff on the floor and the tomatoes gave the best illustratory effect..........................................................................

................................................................................

................................................................................

:rofl:

Tom

Oh man, this is a neat effect! Love it! Gee, Tom, you sure have it when it comes to being creative! I'm saving this one in my tips/ideas file. Thanks for sharing!

Thank you Myriam! It's comments like theese that get me going (and sometimes yelling for being a bit of a slacker).

Good news, I'm currently working on the tutorial on that red/blask tone of the rodtube. Have you tried any yet??

Keep your fingers crossed it goes well, antiquing coming on tomorow but I don't think I'll get it online until Sunday-Monday. Spending weekend in my other house in the Swedish outbacks, were the bears are plenty and the wolves too!!

Tom

You're most welcome, Tom, and I'm looking forward to seeing your tutorial. Take your time though. I've got the red dye but haven't been able to find the mahogany antique yet. Guess I'll have to order on the web.

Lucky man, spending the weekend where there are wolves. I just love wolves.

I'm taking a guess here that any type of antiquing would work, saddletan is a very nice gooey gel to smear on and as soon as I get time I'll be trying it with sadletan. This project I need to keep as close to the tube colour/tone since customer wanted exactly that....with glitter on...duh!...glamourprincesses...lol.

Oh crap...just realized I need to fix the liner to this piece if I'm going to be able to get it together over weekend.. bye then, lol.

Tom