Eric F

My First Attempts At Tooling

First I would like to thank everyone on here of all there posts. I have been a user of this site for a while now and learned a lot buy reading the questions and answers. I also truly enjoyed seeing everyones work. If it were not for all of you showing your stuff I don't think I would have the courage to post mine. Like I said in the description these are my first tooling projects. I have done a lot of basic stitching and molded stuff over the last few years but never had the courage to try tooling. I decided to give it a try when I needed a strap for my new Banjo and likeed the way it came out so much I made the Guitar and Mandolin straps the same day. Anyway Thanks again for helping build my confidence and in turn my skills. I look forward to hearing your feed back and hope to have more finished projects to post soon. Good luck with all you have on your workbench. Eric

straps.jpg

straps3.jpg

post-11913-12653278528_thumb.jpg

post-11913-126532853512_thumb.jpg

Edited by Eric F

First Tooling? Come on now! You must have done some practice pieces first, because nobody does that well the first time out. This is really excellent work for a novice. I am sure you will receive many compliments on your instrument straps and some requests to make more straps for others.

First Tooling? Come on now! You must have done some practice pieces first, because nobody does that well the first time out. This is really excellent work for a novice. I am sure you will receive many compliments on your instrument straps and some requests to make more straps for others.

thank you for your compliment and I have actually had requests for both instrument and rifle straps so I am vary pleased by that. But I swear these are the first tooling projects I have ever done. I did Play around on some scrap for about 20 min to get a feel for how the stamps worked. But once I felt I understood how it worked I just kind of dove into the first one and once this was done I liked it so well I did the other two the same day. As I said I have done some wet molded stuff in the past so I understand about getting the core of the leather wet before working it and I know that really helped out a lot. Having said that I do have a question about wet molding tooled leather. Can I wet mold it after tooling or do I have to mold then tool it? Cause I don't see how it will hold it's shape if I mold it first and I don't know if it will effect the tooling if I mold it after. I thank you for any help you can offer in advance.

Sure you can wet mold it after tooling, but you may have a possible problem with the tooling distorting and/or losing it's appeal. It all depends on how much molding you are doing, where the pattern fits on the piece, etc. Most leathercarvers do the tooling after the leather is molded on anything where the leather is severely molded as on a saddle swell or a custom molded rifle scabbard. In that case you may well use the molding shape as the backup for the tooling in place of your usual marble or granite stone. Then you have to consider how much the tooling will expand the leather. It may be possible, depending on the shape of the molded leather, to apply packing tape to the backside in order to help the leather fron doing that. Really, the best advice I can give you is to try it and see. That way you learn from hands on experiance what will work and what doesn't.

Sure you can wet mold it after tooling, but you may have a possible problem with the tooling distorting and/or losing it's appeal. It all depends on how much molding you are doing, where the pattern fits on the piece, etc. Most leathercarvers do the tooling after the leather is molded on anything where the leather is severely molded as on a saddle swell or a custom molded rifle scabbard. In that case you may well use the molding shape as the backup for the tooling in place of your usual marble or granite stone. Then you have to consider how much the tooling will expand the leather. It may be possible, depending on the shape of the molded leather, to apply packing tape to the backside in order to help the leather fron doing that. Really, the best advice I can give you is to try it and see. That way you learn from hands on experiance what will work and what doesn't.

Thank You! You have given me the courage to try the next project I had in mind. I have a large frame .45 1911 I want to do a Bianchi style pancake holster for and I would like to do the same basket weave pattern on it that I used on the straps. I will be giving it a try and will post my results once finished. Thanks again! Eric

Very nice work well done. Newbie?? Lol.

Looks Good,I'd say you're off to a good start. On your letters you can dress it some by going around the letters with background or any beveler . It will add to your tooling which good. Peace.

Good work. Try going around your letters with a background or any beveler. 1st time ?????? Good work, Peace