HellcatLeathers

Anyone Have An Etsy Shop?

Does anyone on here have an Etsy shop? I just signed up and opened one and put a few items in there for starters.

Check it out and let me know what you think: http://www.etsy.com/shop/HellcatLeathers

Any suggestions on how to promote my Etsy shop? I'm putting it all over my Facebook page and my Hellcat Leathers Facebook page as well.

Oh well, time to get back to the tooling bench.....this little elf has some belts to make this weekend!

Ciao!

I didn't really start getting traffic on Etsy untill I had about 100 items in the shop. They just don't show up in the searches. The big thing I noticed on your shop was that your listings don't say that you take paypal. If you are listing online, most people want the buy it now options. I would recomend adding paypal, and a lot more inventory. It took me almost a year to build my inventory, take pictures, and make new listings. Check out your shop stats through Etsy or google analytics. See what people are searching for, and make sure you use every tag you can, and have the key ones in the listing title. Good luck!

I didn't really start getting traffic on Etsy untill I had about 100 items in the shop. They just don't show up in the searches. The big thing I noticed on your shop was that your listings don't say that you take paypal. If you are listing online, most people want the buy it now options. I would recomend adding paypal, and a lot more inventory. It took me almost a year to build my inventory, take pictures, and make new listings. Check out your shop stats through Etsy or google analytics. See what people are searching for, and make sure you use every tag you can, and have the key ones in the listing title. Good luck!

Thanks for your comments and advice! I thought it would motivate me more to get more inventory going by putting the shop on Etsy first, then building the inventory as I go. I don't take Paypal and I never will. I know this will impact sales, but that is okay for now. Eventually I hope to be able to accept credit card payments. (Paypal and Ebay have screwed me out of so much money in the past I will never use either one of them again.)

I have a shop. Check out this book (literally, your local library might have a copy...mine did):

How To Sell Your Crafts Online

It has a heavy focus on Etsy and provides a lot of good ideas and tips for marketing your store.

Good luck.

Thanks for the tip on that book. I put it in my Amazon cart already.

Can I search for your Etsy shop by name?

Yup. Marotte Leather. It should come up, and if it doesn't, please let me know. :-)

I also have an Etsy shop, although I haven't managed to sell anything through it yet.

Must go back and photograph stuff, write descriptions (that's the part I do badly), post the photos and descriptions, and see if anything happens this time.

If you want a great example of how to make Etsy work, check out Tom Banwell's shop. Aside from having popular products, he also has very nice photos and the description & title are complete & to the point. Someone doesn't get 26,000+ admirers and 6000+ sales without doing something very right. ;)http://www.etsy.com/shop/TomBanwell

No Paypal or credit card acceptance are going to be huge lost sales points though. Not many folks go for the order online & send me a check thing these days.

Edited by Spinner

I have an Etsy shop. I opened it a few months ago so it has yet to be profitable. I hope that with time, increased amount of products, and a little exposure, it will all be worth it. I am not sure that Etsy is the best place for me. It requires both Etsy membership and paypal account so I worry that that is a deterrent for customers. So I made a separate website on Big Cartel. Time will tell which is best for me.

http://cicadaleathercompany.bigcartel.com/

http://www.etsy.com/shop/CicadaLeatherCompany?ref=si_shop

It is hard to imagine anyone buying in this day if you do not take paypal or credit cards. The me, if someone says they will not take credit cards what I hear is that they do horrible work and get tons of complaints so they get charge backs. In order to stop this they demand money orders so that no matter how unreputible they are, money gets collected.

This may not be the case with you, but as a consumer, I assume it to be true. I then buy from someone else.

I buy and have sold many thousands of dollars worth of stuff online in hundreds of transactions. I have been ripped off once (ironically from a guy on this site). He convinced me he would not use paypal, I sent him money, never got the tool I bought. I will never again send anyone money directly.

As far as Ebay and Paypal screwing you...do you mean the charges for selling and using their system? If I've ever had a problem Ebay and Paypal have ALWAYS fixed it for me. I haven't had trouble with them. If we didn't use Ebay my husbands business would be 3/4 of what it is. I think the charges are cheap for getting it in the face of millions! It has also increased his hits and sales on his website. I feel safe with both Ebay and Paypal. Just my opinion.

Thanks for your comments and advice! I thought it would motivate me more to get more inventory going by putting the shop on Etsy first, then building the inventory as I go. I don't take Paypal and I never will. I know this will impact sales, but that is okay for now. Eventually I hope to be able to accept credit card payments. (Paypal and Ebay have screwed me out of so much money in the past I will never use either one of them again.)

Thanks for the tip on that book. I put it in my Amazon cart already.

As far as Ebay and Paypal screwing you...do you mean the charges for selling and using their system? If I've ever had a problem Ebay and Paypal have ALWAYS fixed it for me. I haven't had trouble with them. If we didn't use Ebay my husbands business would be 3/4 of what it is. I think the charges are cheap for getting it in the face of millions! It has also increased his hits and sales on his website. I feel safe with both Ebay and Paypal. Just my opinion.

Absolutely! Paypal ROCKS! I think if you don't use it you're just hurting your business.

I have an Etsy shop although I didn't keep up with it very well. Last week I updated it, added more items although I, like a former poster hate doing the tags, descriptions, etc. and I sold my first item the very next day. You can't beat a 4 month listing for 20 cents. But you will never sell anything without a Paypal account, no matter how you feel about them. I just sold a sewing machine for $150.00 and Paypal took 5 bucks off the top. That's not being ripped off, that's the price of doing business and making sales easy for your customers.

I haven't had Aaron's experience but I don't like messing with mailing the payment and waiting to get the item. I wouldn't shop online if I wanted to wait two weeks for something, and I like the protection Paypal affords me. It's your choice but emotions and business are poor bed partners. Just my opinion. Cheryl

To the OP, Etsy is now offering direct payment through them without using PayPal. They are billing it as a better customer experience, and I can see that. They charge about the same fees as paypal, so you can now take credit cards without Paypal. I have had about six sales since they turned it on, and half of them have been through Etsy directly.

Oh I didn't know that, like i said don't keep up with it as well as I could. I'll have to offer that as a payment method too, or do they do it automatically? Cheryl

They call it a shop payment account, and you might have to dig a little bit. I know I was part of the pilot group of stores who were given a chance to try it. I figure any new method to seperate money from customers is something I should check out.

LOL, thanks AZ. Cheryl

I too, have an Etsy shop: http://www.etsy.com/shop/SalukiFeathers

I do custom orders for dog collars, and in the two months I've been open, average 2-3 sales per month. It seems to be picking up... I do it because it's fun and to help pay for my tools (I'm nowhere close to breaking even, hehe) and it gives me a great opportunity to practice my skills.

So far I'm only using Paypal. Last I checked the direct billing wasn't working for Canada. The funds tend to sit in Paypal until I spend it ordering leather supplies :P

LOL, heard that. Only mine doesn't have a chance to do anything but stand and catch its breath.

I've got an etsy account, just opened last week. Chiefsleatherworks.

http://www.etsy.com/shop/ChiefsLeatherWorks?ref=si_shop

I have been getting a little traffic, but have to wait and see if it picks up, it was the same way when I started selling at the local craft's fair we have here weekly, but after a while people got to know about me being here and the orders and sales of stock items started coming in.

One Problem I have is that I make a lot of special order stuff, so I don't have a lot of inventory to offer nor the cash flow and shop time to build out several hundred items that might or might not sell. I take pictures of the items I make and sell, then post them as examples. Got to work that one out.

Ken

I don't use PayPal due to their anti firearm policies. A friend has an Ebay store , and has had his PP account frozen a few times due to irregular activity-or what THEY thought was irregular.

I use my debit card for online transactions. And yes, I have the same protection as a credit card-which I will not own.

With any online store you need good clear pictures without distracting backgrounds, and good descriptions.

One thing I see is a $10 key fob. I have tons of unused fobs laying around the house. With them being so inexpensive to free to obtain those may be a hard sell. Also for that $ I would want to see something more than a Tandy stamp impression. This is one criticism I see with a lot of "hand tooled" leather goods being sold lately.

With any business you will need to research your market, and your competition - unfortunately that will include WalMart even though they don't sell hand made items. There have been some threads in the business forum covering pricing of items that you may want to read through. Iforgeiron.com also had a good thread addressing pricing of handmade items.

Not trying to be snarky, just pointing out some things I have seen, and heard from my fellow artisans, and guild members.

Edited by BIGGUNDOCTOR