DSJackson

2 Tone Braid... How Did I Do This?

Hi all, I wonder if someone can help me figure out what I did here. This was a piece I made purely to learn the 4 strand round braid process. I used two colours to better see how the laces intertwined. Since this I've made a couple more items but my two tone work has a spiral effect rather than this bisected half and half deal going on here. What lace positioning did I use to get this? I'd like to recreate it in an actual project.

Thanks!

IMG_0232.jpg

That stems from the very start of your braid. You have to start the diamond braid like you have above different from the barber pole braid. But when the above braid is done you have to be aware of the diamond pattern being straight as you braid.

Yeah, therein lies my problem. When I did this I wasn't concerned with which laces crossed which at the beginning, I was only focusing on the brading technique itself. When it was done i just assumed my subsequent two tone four strands would come out the same lol.

I'll have to cut a couple lengths and experiment with the different starting positions of the laces and see what comes of it.

If you want to have the colors match up on each side like this, you should start your braid with the colors alternating. So, Black, Brown, Black Brown, that way when you cross your two inside strands at the beginning of the braid, you will get Black Black Brown Brown and then the colors will match up on the corresponding side. They will actually be on the opposite side from which they start since each strand goes on the "outside" of the braid. So if you start with both black strands on the left, they will appear to be on the right side when you go over one under one. I think the biggest problem you have with that piece of braiding is the fact that there is a twist in the braids. This is caused by pulling harder on one side than the other so make sure your braids all match up straight and are pulled evenly. Just one more aspect of braiding that comes from practice.

The barber pole effect that Knothead was talking about is from starting the braids with each color on the same side, then crossing the two middle strands. This would make your strands alternate in color (Black Brown Black Brown) and would give you this spiral effect.

When you get up to eight strands, you can change things up even more and have the colors on the same side or if you alternate them, you will end up with a chevron pattern throughout the braid. Its all about how you set up your strands initially.

:) I have a few more 4 strand projects I would like to do and then it's on to 6 and 8 strand. Neat that the more strands the more effects you can work into it. I'm looking forward to getting into the pineapple weaving too. Any recommendations on where to begin on this?

Also, I should cut shellac for braid finishing with paint thinner, correct?