Sign in to follow this  
Morchesky412

A Practice Piece

well i've been practicing and this is my latest. I tried to lay out my vines and scrollwork like engravers do, instead of putting big leaves in it. it didnt really turn out great but i thought id share and try to get some advice

IMG_0820.jpg

well i've been practicing and this is my latest. I tried to lay out my vines and scrollwork like engravers do, instead of putting big leaves in it. it didnt really turn out great but i thought id share and try to get some advice

IMG_0820.jpg

Since it is a practice piece, two things I would consider; 1) practice rounder, more fluid scrolls, (use a french curve if necessary) and, 2) on the flower petals, maybe use a larger thumbprint for a larger and longer impression.

Harvey

I looked at the picture before I read your description. My first thought when I was it was you need a few leaves, not just vines (then i read you did that on purpose).

Your flowers need to have the vines cross behind them. The flowers are surrounded by background, that looks unnatural.

It would look better if you used a mules foot on the vines at the ends of the cuts.

Bring your flower petal cuts closer to the flower center, they are separate petals all the way to the base.

Aaron

thanks for the great advice, it really helps! But im not quite sure what a "french curve" is?