GaryNunn

Cowboy Cb3200 Or An Artisan 3200 ?

I'm about to buy a leather stitching machine, I've narrowed my choices down to a new Cowboy CB3200 or a gently used Artisan 3200. I can get either for about the same amount. I'm completely on the fence between these two machines. I intend to use the machine for leather holsters and other accessories. I also want to use up to 346 thread and I don't anticipate needing to stitch more than 3/8 to 1/2.

Anyone have any experience with both machines?

Thanks,

Gary

Hey psst,just a little secret,shhh,they're basically both the same machine,just painted a different color.They are made in the same factory. At least that's what I've been told. Where they may vary is Cowboy has stainless pressure feet,accessories,not sure about artisan. I have a cowboy 4500,it's the daddy of em all, and by the way I LOVE my Cowboy, I would personally go for the machine that offers the best tech support . Plus I would bet those guys at Neels saddlery or Toledo (contact info at top of page) would help you with any questions you may have,now,or down the road. Maybe you could contact them and find out what makes each machine stand out once it gets to the dealership. I know they do a lot of tweaking and adjusting once they arrive to the states and they stand by they're products long after the sale. Also if you have to have it shipped,which machine would offer the best shipping costs. It's always hard to make these decisions when you know your going to be spending a lot of time with your machine and it is a big investment. So I wish you the best.

Hi Gary,

I think you would be in better shape if you bought something like the CB4500 because of the longer arm. Since you are in OH, Bob Kovar at Toledo Sewing Machine is probably your best bet. Sewing gunbelt bullet loops with a shorter arm machine will make you wish you had spent the few extra bucks. You can spend a little more on the bigger machine because it is a lifetime investment.

I have Artisan, Cowboy, and Cobra machines, and none of them were made in the ole U.S.A.; however some of my Singers (well a few) were. It really doesn't matter much as long as they work and can be fixed if they break. Simple stuff like timing and hooks you should learn to fix yourself. If you aren't mechanically inclined, live close to your dealer, he may teach you some of the simple stuff so he doesn't have to see you so often.

Have fun with your new machine, you will probably want to sew everything that's not nailed down.

Art

By fault of nobody, I sometimes feel like people are walking into a pizza place and asking if anybody can point them in the direction to where they can find a good slice of pizza! Just how it goes sometimes I guess. :)

Hi Gary. You should call all of the advertisers on this sight and get all of the info you can on the machine that you are interested in. We all have good reputations and will give our knowledge freely.

Gregg, I would say it's more like walking into a pizza place and asking which of their specialty pizzas is best.

HI, I'm Steve Bonnett of Steve's Leather Machines and Cowboy Leather Machines in Australia and can recommend either machine you mentioned. Naturally we are biased towards the Cowboy because we have taken over the distributorship and the mother company is very very helpful, this makes for much easier backup to the end user.

As mentioned above the longer arm of the Cb4500 is a bonus as is the increased sewing thickness at your disposal.

Here is Australia pre service and after service backup are the holy grail, since taking over the distributorship 2 months ago we have doubled the turnover of the previous distributor's previous 12 months. This is all down to the service and reputation.... as the product is the same.

I believe that whichever brand you choose and whichever model your choose..ie CB3200 or CB4500 you will be pleased with the result.

Best Regards Steve Bonnett, Steve's Leather Machines and Cowboy Leather Machines Australia.

Correction, clearly my maths isn't so good, just got corrected by my partner, the turnover has more than tripled in a sixth of the time.

The Cowboy 3200 has a 10.5" arm and 1/2" capacity. The Toro 3200 has a 12" arm and 7/8" capacity. Both have stainless feet and will handle 415 thread. The Toro is a 441 clone, and except for arm length is the same basic machine as the Cobra, Cowboy, and Techsew machines, with most parts being interchangeable. New ,the Toro machine is about $600-$700 more than the Cobra 3200, which is not the same as the Toro 3200.

What about a manual? Any of them come with one? Or, are you comfortable having someone explain setting the timing over the phone -- no pictures? These things might cause a guy to think about a machine from someone in the area you will have and use it.

If you are unsure of the machine you need, stew on it a bit more. Ask the opinions of someone NOT trying to sell you one.

Art has offered some pretty good advice. Only thing I might add -- if you aren't sure you'll need to sew more than 1/2", then it helps to decide. But if you KNOW that 1/2" is the limit for what you sew, then buying 'more' machine is not a good idea. I mean, say I'm outta milk and need to get to the store. I could go buy a Porsche, which would do the job, but I'd be spending far more than I need to - unnecessary.

Well, maybe that's not quite the example. Perhaps the cowboy and artisan are more like Chevy, and the "Porsche" would say Adler?

Please note we are in Australia and are NOT trying to sell you a machine....

I believe all machines come with manuals. If you are technically minded you could possibly tackle the timing yourself, however bear in mind there are 3 adjustments at the back of the machine and one at the front and upsetting one can mess you up in other areas. You might also run into warranty problems if you mess around too much as well. Be wary of long complex instruction on how to rectify problems on this site, when most problems are simply tension related.

I don't agree entirely on the theory that bigger is not always better, with the CB4500 ie the 441 style machine, it is bigger, it will sew thicker but it is not heavier or clumsier in the needle and foot area, they have quite a dainty foot set and will sew anything from medium harness right down to a wallet.

As everyone has mentioned all the machines are similar, so its best to choose the one with best backup..... I haven't heard any bad remarks about any of the US dealers. I mention my situation in the above post so that people realise who I am, dealer or not I still try to give fair comment.

I wanted to follow-up on my original post. I ultimately went with the Cowboy 3200 from Toledo Industrial Sewing Machines. My son and I went to pick it up, and Bob spent time familiarizing me with the machine. As has been my previous experiences with Bob, his customer service is exceptional.

The Cowboy 3200 has far exceeded my expectations. Someone suggested that I should go with the Cowboy 4500 in case I decide to do thicker materials. I agree 100%, but I was trying to find that balance of getting a machine to get into production right away verses waiting another 6 months to gather funds.

I'm sure other machines (and vendors) would have worked as well, but Bob / Toledo industrial is within a few hours drive if I were to need emergency service or help and my past experiences with them have been good.

Thanks everyone for the input and suggestions, it was the input here that steered me toward the Cowboy 3200.

Edited by GaryNunn

Gary,

Good to hear about your positive experience. Anyone can sell you a machine, but everybody is looking for service. Our business has always been like that, now more than ever.

Not sure if this is right thread to post my question in, but based on above comments and lot of other hours of research I have decided to buy a Cowboy CB3200 around the first week of August. My only reservation is whether to stay switch the table or spend the extra $100 on the stand. What are the advantages of paying the extra money? I have a bad back and will be sewing sitting down. Size of footprint is also a consideration, but being able to stand to sew and taking up a little less space does not, to me, warrant the extra cost. So, what other advantages are there to the pedestal? Oh, yeah, you should know I am a complete newbie to sewing machines. Thanks for any input.

crd

If you have a cylinder arm, it indicates you might be sewing things that need a little "man handling" (should I have said finessing, ladies?). The extra floor clearance is helpful also. We find that a barstool ot tall swivel chair really works well with the taller stands usually shipped with these machines. For use sewing general leatherwork, the taller stand seems a little better for us. In a pure production setting, you are sewing usually one particular thing where you set the stand at the most advantageous height.

Art

Yes, most of my work will be gun belts and holsters. Thanks Art for the information. Will use in my deliberations.

crd

Not sure if this is right thread to post my question in, but based on above comments and lot of other hours of research I have decided to buy a Cowboy CB3200 around the first week of August. My only reservation is whether to stay switch the table or spend the extra $100 on the stand. What are the advantages of paying the extra money? I have a bad back and will be sewing sitting down. Size of footprint is also a consideration, but being able to stand to sew and taking up a little less space does not, to me, warrant the extra cost. So, what other advantages are there to the pedestal? Oh, yeah, you should know I am a complete newbie to sewing machines. Thanks for any input.

crd

Due to space restraints, I went with the stand. I had to modify the stand so that I could still use a chair which worked with my desk, my table, and my drawing board. The pedals are not in the right place for a chair so I had to redesign them and move the post that supports the machine closer to my chair. It works great for me now. I posted a tutorial on my blog about it if you are interested.

Awesome msdeluca. Yes, if you would be willing to post the plans I would greatly appreciate it. Or, if you prefer you can send them to me at "warc at cox dot net".

Edited by Art
email addr in machine format hamanified

It would of been easier to flip the lower plate & it would put the pedals toward(no drilling & you can use the same pedals) the back.Also when working on the table like this I would recommend taking the

head off the stand,one little mistake & you might have to pick it up off the floor & hopefully it

wouldn't land on a toe.

Thanks for your input CowboyBob. I think I see what you are saying, my question is how are the wheels attached? Will flipping the lower plate have any effect on fastening them?

Thank you.

crd

They just screw on and can be put on the otherside too.

It would of been easier to flip the lower plate & it would put the pedals toward(no drilling & you can use the same pedals) the back.Also when working on the table like this I would recommend taking the

head off the stand,one little mistake & you might have to pick it up off the floor & hopefully it

wouldn't land on a toe.

Bob,

I didn't think of just flipping it over. And yes, getting it all supported without removing the head had me concerned. Not being all that familiar with the machine, I didn't want to take too much apart.

Thanks for chiming in.

Michael

I'm putting together funds for the Cowboy 3200. My current conundrum is do I keep trying sell off hobby stuff I don't need or sell my Gibson guitar and get it over with. I'm ready to have the Cowboy in my shop!

I think you should sell things you don't need, keep the guitar it will be a friend for life.

9 hours ago, Singermania said:

I think you should sell things you don't need, keep the guitar it will be a friend for life.

I second the emotion. A top notch guitar can make you money in a bar when all else is failing. I know.

Emotion thirded..the only reason to sell a Gibson would be to buy a Strat, or a Saxophone.