Mike516

Line 20 Snaps With Setter And Anvil

I'm having issues setting snaps with the setter and anvil on bracelets. I'm using line 20 snaps on 6-7 ounce leather, which should be the right size.

I watched GH's video on the proper way to do it because I thought maybe I was just doing it worng, but I'd say about 25% of the snaps pop off after only a few days of use. It's getting frustrating and I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong. Any tips or advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks.

Any tips or advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks.

Can you take a pic or 2 of a snap that you have set?

Looking down in where the flare from the setter and one side on showing any offset from top to bottom?

Kevin

Now that you mention it, pic #2 does look a little offset. Would that be the issue?

post-27080-009992000 1332872035_thumb.jp

post-27080-006799900 1332872042_thumb.jp

post-27080-068957100 1332872050_thumb.jp

I have a problem with rivets. They never seem vertical when I do them.

Is your hole too big perhaps? Are you making sure that your first blows are vertical, perpendicular to the snap?

The hole is snug. I have to push the post through. Is the hand press worth the investment?

I thought I was hitting it vertically but who knows. Maybe my head is crooked :/

Edited by Mike516

Disregard, thanks anyway.

I can't give a paying customer anything that's not 100%, so I ordered a snap press. That way I know they'll be right.

I really don't have any problems with rivets. Just the snaps drive me nuts. I guess it's just one of those things.

Disregard, thanks anyway. ...I ordered a snap press. I really don't have any problems with rivets. Just the snaps drive me nuts. I guess it's just one of those things.

I can't do a rivet to save my life! But I don't seem to have troubles with the snaps. But let me know how you like your snap press. It's on my list of things to buy eventually. Where did you get yours?

I'll tell you what...I'll send you all my stuff that needs snaps and you send me all your stuff that needs rivets lol.

I'll let you know how the snap press is. I ordered it from Tandy. I know people talk down a lot of their stuff but I haven't had any issues with any of the things I've bought from them so far(knock wood). I was going to get the press and snap hand tool but I called them about the dies because it wasn't clear which ones you use for which size snap and they told me they never heard of snap sizes referred to as "line" 20" or "line" 24 etc which seemed odd. Then they said it would work on line 24 snaps (thought she said she didn't know what "line" meant?) and there were no dies for line 20 snaps. Weather or not this was true, I was turned off at this point and just said "ok thank you, have a good day" and called tried and true (at least for me) Tandy.

Remember this....Only about 1/16 of the post should be showing...Anymore it will always bend over and make a crooked set...

ha ha ha.... that sounds like a plan.

I need more production type equipment so I can speed myself up. The airbrush I got really helped though it makes me high when I use any spirit or oil dyes. I just can't hold my breath that long. (respirator is on its way)

I've not had too much problem with Tandy stuff either.... yet. But I can sure see the quality difference between the old craftool co and craftool usa stuff and the new Chinese made Craftool stuff. Pretty sad really.

Did you see the line 24 and 20 snaps on ebay? I've been tempted... but must wait.

Remember this....Only about 1/16 of the post should be showing...Anymore it will always bend over and make a crooked set...

I got the snaps that say for use on 5-7 ounce leather and I'm using them on 6-7 ounce so the size should be right. I don't think I'm hitting them straight. Every now and then I get one that's perfect but they're far and few between.

Havent used this myself but this might be a cheaper alternative - if you're not doing a 1000 of these a day !

http://csosborne.com/no230.htm

Im pretty sure they have a 20 and 24 size / line (whatever !) version.

post-28458-026820800 1332900290_thumb.jp

It looks good but I already ordered the press. Thanks anyway.

If you happen to be around a Hobby Lobby store, . . . go to their sewing section (should be on the farthest right hand wall after you enter the front door, . . . ).

They sell two different snap setters, . . . hand held. One only does line 24 snaps, . . . the other one does snaps of at least 2 sizes, 24 and 20.

I would not use anything else for snaps, . . . period, . . . if at all possible.

The tool itself is right at $25, . . . and worth twice the price in my estimation. Looks like a pair of blue handled pliers.

May God bless,

Dwight

That isn't an off set it's a bent snap post. Your problem is the tool that you are setting the snap with. You need to remove the outside edge off of your setting tool. Do you see the raised edge of the tool? That is the part that rolls the end of the post over file that flat don't mess with the little hump in the middle of the tool. That should solve the problem. The real problem is the snap it's self the hole that the post goes through is a hair to large when you set the snap with the tool it is not rolling the end of the post out far enough to lock the two pieces together. Quality control at the manufactures end would solve this issue I was having the same problem and I stopped using the snaps and started using Chicago screws.

PS: I don't think the new tool you ordered will solve your problem.

Now that you mention it, pic #2 does look a little offset. Would that be the issue?

Edited by busted

I've had this problem for a while too.

I've narrowed it down to the snaps itself. A few years ago Tandy Leather changed the manufacturer for their snaps, and they are not as strong. The posts are not strong enough to withstand the pressure of the anvil and punch, so the post collapses in on itself, and you don't have enough of a curl over on the top.

I now buy my snaps through a few different manufacturers and have had excellent results.

I now buy my snaps through a few different manufacturers and have had excellent results.

Hello Dan:

Could you please tell us your supplier?

DOT Fasteners is one company, but you have to sign up for an account and I believe there is a $50 minimum order.

I hope busted is wrong about my new tool. I hope even though the posts aren't as strong as they need to be, squeezing them with the press will be better than hitting them with the hand tools. We'll see. One order of the dot snaps will probably be over 50 bucks anyway so shouldn't be a problem there.

I'm using line 20 snaps on 6-7ounce leather...that's right isn't it? I mean the size of the snap has nothing to do with this, right?

Edited by Mike516

I hope busted is wrong about my new tool. I hope even though the posts aren't as strong as they need to be, squeezing them with the press will be better than hitting them with the hand tools. We'll see. One order of the dot snaps will probably be over 50 bucks anyway so shouldn't be a problem there.

I'm using line 20 snaps on 6-7ounce leather...that's right isn't it? I mean the size of the snap has nothing to do with this, right?

I don't have that particular press, I have the Osborne one. I know of others who have the Tandy press for grommets and they like it.

I just got the dies to do line 20 and 24 snaps with the Osborne press. I am not having a problem with the Tandy snaps with this setup. I had a lot of trouble with them with the hand held setters, they seem to work fine in the press. So I would imagine that you will see a great improvement with your new tool.Let us know how you make out.

I don't have that particular press, I have the Osborne one. I know of others who have the Tandy press for grommets and they like it.

I just got the dies to do line 20 and 24 snaps with the Osborne press. I am not having a problem with the Tandy snaps with this setup. I had a lot of trouble with them with the hand held setters, they seem to work fine in the press. So I would imagine that you will see a great improvement with your new tool.Let us know how you make out.

Rosiart...thank you I think I'm breathing again lol. I have my first two orders almost done and all I need to do is let the stain dry, finish them with the Resolene I just got and set the snaps. They look great, I'm just nervous about the snaps. Just starting out, it's a bad time to have anything fail on me, like these freakin' snaps.

Rosiart...thank you I think I'm breathing again lol. I have my first two orders almost done and all I need to do is let the stain dry, finish them with the Resolene I just got and set the snaps. They look great, I'm just nervous about the snaps. Just starting out, it's a bad time to have anything fail on me, like these freakin' snaps.

Breathing is good. lol This is the press I have. https://www.osbornel...gory.php?cid=40 Similar in function to the one you ordered, with a different handle configuration. The one thing I do everytime though, is make sure the cap and socket section I intend on using snaps together before I try and set it. Some of them can be off and I figure checking that before I set the snap saves a ton of aggravation.

That's an excellent idea.

I also contacted DOT and if the press doesn't solve the issue I'm just going to get all new snaps and the customers are going to have to wait. I'd rather do it right once than have people unhappy. I make small stuff I can offer for free as compensation for waiting.

But hopefully the press solves the problem. I'm trying not to stress over it but it's my own fault for not testing these snaps more before going public with this stuff so it's my own fault.

We'll just have to see what happens.

I grind many of the posts off so they only stick up about 1/16 " .

If the post is too long they will bend.

This helps hold them for grinding.

post-19342-079228000 1332982909_thumb.jp

I would advise to get posts too long, and grind as necessary.

Another problem I had with a snap vendor is, that the male button pieces, the centers on the old stock, was at the bottom of the snap, and sat flush with the leather, so my posts were exactly correct, and curled over properly.

New stock, the bottom of the male snap center is about half way in the middle of the snap, so now, a slightly longer post is needed (I use 8/9oz leather). Instead of buying all new snaps, I am just tooling the backside of the snap hole, so the post has a little extra room to clear the other half.

Snaps give me more problems than anything else, but I really don't want to buy a snap press and die kit. Is that hand setting tool from Hobby Lobby better than using the anvil and setter tool?