Sign in to follow this  
slugmar

Hello Fron Northern California And Some Questions

Well I just joined and found the forum the other day and wanted to say hello and tell you a little about myself.

I live in Anderson, Ca, I'm a Father of three, two step childern (17 & 15) and 1 year old. I have a small working ranch were I currently plant 3 acres in a garden, raise south afraican full blood boer goats as well on about 10 acres and then the rest I custom hay or rent out the pasture depending on ow the hay is selling.

We are planning on getting maybe acouple draft horse and regular horse.

So with the tack for horse for pulling and riding and goat that we show at the fair we will have alot of leather product that could need repair every now and then, but I was also thinking that since we et alot of goat if I take the hides and tan them out could I use the hids to make all the leather products I need ?

How durable is Goat Leather ?

Well I just joined and found the forum the other day and wanted to say hello and tell you a little about myself.

I live in Anderson, Ca, I'm a Father of three, two step childern (17 & 15) and 1 year old. I have a small working ranch were I currently plant 3 acres in a garden, raise south afraican full blood boer goats as well on about 10 acres and then the rest I custom hay or rent out the pasture depending on ow the hay is selling.

We are planning on getting maybe acouple draft horse and regular horse.

So with the tack for horse for pulling and riding and goat that we show at the fair we will have alot of leather product that could need repair every now and then, but I was also thinking that since we et alot of goat if I take the hides and tan them out could I use the hids to make all the leather products I need ?

How durable is Goat Leather ?

From my experience on using goat leather, which is very limited indeed, I can say that goat lace is probably the 2nd best on the market; with kangaroo being the best. A lot of goat hides are turned into rawhide to used for lamp shades and such. Zack White Leather in NC sells goat hides and says that they can be used for thin wallets, money clips and other small leather items. Another source says that goat hides were used to store wine, and you can't argue with the Bible. Hope this helps and maybe someone else will have more data for you.

I originally hail from about 45min north of ya. I must say the only thing I dont miss about that place is the summer heat lol.

Wanted to add that I believe that goat is really good for book binding, liners, various projects requiring thin leather. Also wallet innards. Things of that nature.

Hi slugmar and welcome to LW, glad you found us. Thanks, Steve

Hi Slugmar,

Sounds like you've got an interesting set up! For what it's worth, I don't think I'd fuss with the goathides too much, unless you already know that you have a use for them. For an individual to tan them in such a way as for them to really be useable, (other than rawhide) it's just a bit tricky, time consuming, and a heck of a lot of work. Not that you can't do it, mind you, but it doesn't sound to me like it would do you all that much good.

I'm sure you'll like the site! Happy goating, or whatever you call it....

Kevin