this is a great website I found on an airbrushing forum while looking for needles for my airbrush. He talks about everything from tuning tricks to how to disassemble and clean an airbrush with lots of pictures. He also compares a good number of airbrushes from the Harbor Freight starter set all the way up to the Badger Rage. Navigation is old school, having to go through the pages in order but worth the read.

The reviews are done well enough that the president of Badger has sent him various airbrushes to have reviews done.

http://airbrushtips.110mb.com/index.html

Thanks for the link Spinner. Their is lots of good information there. Espically for some body like me that knows nothing about a air brush.

It was one of those rare finds when looking for parts for my Badger 155. I couldn't figure out why I couldn't get fine lines until I read through and examined mine more closely only to find the tip of the needle has the slightest bend to it..most likely from dropping it sometime.

Making a trip to Coast Airbrush in Anaheim, CA Saturday for a replacement and to check out the fun stuff there. I'm also going to check out a product they carry called Incredible White Liquid Mask that is like liquid latex but is supposed to be even more low tack...it specifically mentioned leather in the 'safe for us on' list.

It was one of those rare finds when looking for parts for my Badger 155. I couldn't figure out why I couldn't get fine lines until I read through and examined mine more closely only to find the tip of the needle has the slightest bend to it..most likely from dropping it sometime.

Making a trip to Coast Airbrush in Anaheim, CA Saturday for a replacement and to check out the fun stuff there. I'm also going to check out a product they carry called Incredible White Liquid Mask that is like liquid latex but is supposed to be even more low tack...it specifically mentioned leather in the 'safe for us on' list.

Thanks for posting this Spinner. Please give a review of the white liquid mask if you buy it, that sounds very interesting.

ken

Spinner I'm interested to know how liquid mask stuff goes as well, I've used normal liquid latex but the stuff I get here in West Oz turns the leather a funny colour and is only suitable for use with dark dyes so a review would be most appreciated if like Ken said you decide to pick some up.

Cheers,

Clair

Thanks for posting this link------just what I need!!

George

Super as others have said thanks for the link. I have the Harbor Fright one he tests, guess I should have gotten better, but probably not bad to start with.

Rick P.

I have an old Badger 200 out in the shop. He gave it decent marks, so should be real good for spraying dye and some minor detail work.

Since there seems to be so much interest in the liquid masking techniques, I'll pick some up and give a good test with photos and everything to share with my LW buddies. They have a 2oz bottle for $7 which could well be worth the risk if it ends up being as good for leather as the online reviews say it is for delicate papers & canvas.

On the airbrushes, keep in mind this guy is a detail model maker so his needs will be far more detailed than most of ours. As he mentions on the lower priced airbrushes, they do so-so on the fine detail but spray wide patterns and solid coverage applications just as well. If all you plan to do is solid color or two-color fades on larger projects like holsters, belts, etc. the HF, Badger and Paasche starter guns are a great way to get started.

Radar - yep, the Badger 200 is a good workhorse airbrush, should work just fine. Just be sure to clean first it if it's been sitting awhile.

Side note - I'm going to have to stay away from Coast Airbrush's website. Looking through their classes they have a airbrushing class with Noah from Noah Fine Art/Disney Vinylmation. That would be awesome (and expensive).

Edited by Spinner

my real question for you guys using an airbrush is this (seeing as how i'm looking to buy one): do you use your airbrush as a "spray gun" to dye entire projects? what is the largest project you would want to use this for (if you were dyeing the entire project one color)?

i really love the fade between colors that you can achieve with an airbrush as well as the consistency amd smoothness. i currently use a preval unit on most of my stuff, but i don't want to buy canned air indefinitely, either. i was hoping that an airbrush could be used instead.

Would an airbrush help to get an even colored coat of dye so it isn't blotchy. I would use it on a belt.

Yes, other than dip dyeing, an airbrush is the best way to get a good even coat. Dip dyeing is just what it sounds like- put the leather in a bucket of dye for a second and there it is. I prefer the airbrush because I can vary the saturation of the dye on the leather.

this is a great website I found on an airbrushing forum while looking for needles for my airbrush. He talks about everything from tuning tricks to how to disassemble and clean an airbrush with lots of pictures. He also compares a good number of airbrushes from the Harbor Freight starter set all the way up to the Badger Rage. Navigation is old school, having to go through the pages in order but worth the read.

The reviews are done well enough that the president of Badger has sent him various airbrushes to have reviews done.

http://airbrushtips.....com/index.html

I know this is an old thread, but it's still an awesome site for info. Wanted to post new info for those interested.

Great site, but it's moved. I just happened across this site when I was trying to get my el cheapo HF back together.

Here's the new URL

https://sites.google.com/site/donsairbrushtips/

I emailed this guy and this is what he sent back. He was very helpful and quick responding back.

Hi Rob,

I saw a

where a guy was using a simple Badger 250 to stain leather. But, if it were me, I would spend a little more and get a Badger 350 or Paasche H, and have better control. The H is a rugged brush that's easy to care for and replacement parts are cheap and available. I doubt whether you need anything more complicated for what you want to do. Don't buy a cheap Chinese copy. They are generally junk. Coast Airbrush sells the H as a complete kit with 3 nozzle sizes and everything you need for $53. If you want even more control, and are willing to spend some time practicing, the Badger 155 would certainly do. It will go from fine lines to broad coverage without changing anything. The set with everything but the hose sells for about $77. It is also an easy brush to care for. I would stick with siphon fed so you can attach a bottle if you need to. Have a look at my reviews.

As for a compressor, any shop compressor that can be set for about 30psi would do. You might need an adapter. A lot of guys are happy with this little Harbor Freight airbrush compressor. Don't go with one of the little cheapies in a plastic case. Get at least 1/8 hp.

To get good fades, you might have to thin the dye a bit and do multiple passes. Best of luck with it. If I can be of any help, let me know.

Take care,

Don

I emailed this guy and this is what he sent back. He was very helpful and quick responding back.

That's good info and the reason I've been recommending the Paasche over the HF models as of late, though they are good if you're willing to figure them out (and possibly deal with returning a bad one). But, I believe the Paasche "H" model is an external mix. For whatever reason, I'm just not fond of the idea of external reason. don't ask me why. I know A LOT of people have recommended the Passche VL, which is basically the exact same kit at the exact same price, accept it's an internal mix. That's my #1 airbrush right now (I also highly recommend Coastairbrush), though I do use my HF still for applying Resolene and anything else that can get gunky.

Ran across this video which is a very good example of what you can do with an air brush to spray stain.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eF3wcfa47yw

I found my best deal for an airbrush at Chicago Airbrush Supply http://www.chicagoairbrushsupply.com/

I found the best deal for a high quality air compressor at http://www.artistsupplysource.com/home.php?cat=391

I haven't received my items but these sites had the best prices for what I was looking for.

Edited by RMB Custom Leather

question for you guys that use air brush when spraying dye on belt/guitar straps,

what do you think gets the best coverage/ results: hang the belt vetically or layed flat on table? or no difference?

what do you think gets the best coverage/ results: hang the belt vetically or layed flat on table? or no difference?

I'd say no difference. Let your workspace/process make the decision for you. I have a large flat bench and I prop up a beer box as an easel to work on by just laying the straps/belts across it. That allows me to keep my hand and arm locked and move my body side to side to get straight and even passes. Just try it and see what works best for you.

Cyber,

As a matter of interest, do you use a face mask whilst spraying?

Thanks Cyber, been using the table, ill give the hanging belt a spray

Good question. I wear a respirator mask and leave the garage ( shop) door open when spraying oil dye. It's recommended not to get that stuff in your lungs, I assume the water base Eco stuff would be ok w/o a mask?

Cyber,

As a matter of interest, do you use a face mask whilst spraying?

YES!!!! But make sure you're using a respirator and NOT a dust mask. The dust mask won't do anything. I'm also currently looking for a way to work a hood system into my work area because the particles linger for quite some time. I also have a problem with my respirator not sealing correctly because of my beard, so I really have to work on getting those particles sucked away.

You can email Don at his email address downeyite@yahoo.com . I asked him to join the forum but not sure if he is interested or not but I think he would be a great asset.