Dougster

Has Anyone Used The Soledi Thread From Amazon?

OK, couldn't figure out how to edit the topic, so I'll just follow up to say that I went ahead and ordered a couple spools of this stuff. More info when I get it.

Have you received..!?!? If so how do you like it..??

I received both the Soledi ($8 each, Prime two day shipping) and the Dowco ($6 each, about ten days shipping from China) threads that I ordered. I've been on travel for work, so I haven't used them yet, but I should have time this weekend.

I plan to order some Tiger thread as well, so eventually I'll do a right proper comparison.

Very little compares to Ritza thread, IMHO. I do have some 1mm china flat wax thread, but my Tiger thread is much, much better! I have found for my projects that I am sticking to .8mm & .6mm. I do want to try some Lin Cable though.

Please keep us up to date.

I'm quite happy with this thread so far. Maybe I'll be spoiled once I get some of the Tiger thread, but in the meantime, I'm getting along fine with this stuff.

The Dowco thread seems to have a bit more wax than the Soledi, but other than that, I think these two products could have come off of the same manufacturing line.

I think there are going to be more stitching chisels in my near future!

I'll get some pictures sorted out soon...

Thanks for pointing this out, I'll be looking to restock soon so this is on the list. What do you think of the wax and the diameter? Looking through the reviews there, I see opinions at both ends of the spectrum; too much/too little wax, and size matching .9 tiger and others saying it's smaller than .8. Also, what do you make of the 'Exquisite Material' they say it's made from? It's polyester right? Thanks in advance.

OK, I'm getting some waxed polycord from Maine Thread and some Tiger/Ritza 25 and Fil au Chinois from Rocky Mountain so that I can really see for myself what the hype is. It's only money, right? LOL

The stuff I have now is very flat. If you take the time to keep the thread from twisting and properly wrap it around the needle (see Nigel Armitage's pricking iron videos for the technique) before pulling it tight, it looks very nice. And yes, it's polyester.

As for wax, I'm no expert in any of this stuff, but it seems like it would be better to start with too little wax and add more to any thread just by buying your own block of beeswax, right?

Thanks for the quick response, I'm looking forward to hearing how things compare for you.

Regarding wax, I'm no expert either but I agree that less is better to start, it's easy enough to add some.

My experience with Maine Thread's polycord (.030" and .035") is that it's waxed to the point that it's visible but still very dry feeling compared to the other waxed threads that I've tried form Tandy and the thread exchange. I call it 'cobby' for the for the lack of a better way to put it as sometimes it both felt and sounding more like I was dragging a tow cable over gravel than sewing. I experienced the exact opposite with the nylon mini spools I got from the thread exchange. That stuff had enough wax on it that I was able to make a few candles as I was stitching along, so I'm reserving that for my caveman stuff and that's it for them (their CS rep was less than helpful with a follow up sale so...).

You answered another thing I was pondering as well, how the flat thread lays out. I was hoping that friction through the material would miraculously roll the thread so the flat side was always presented cleanly rather than rolling around at random. At least that's what I've seen in most pics of tiger stuff, it seems to lay flat all the time? Right now I do not cast the thread over the needle as I'm pleased with the way my stitching looks front/back but I'd certainly try that if it solves any issues with the thread rolling.

Please let me know what you think of the wax on Main thread's stuff. I think I have 7 rolls split over two orders and it all has the same dry, straw-like feeling to it. Other than that, I think they got the quality and price right, so I'm hoping the Soledi fits the bill without having to spend what I think is silly money for el tigre. It's just thread after all right? I mean, it doesn't come with any cake or cheese does it? :)

Edited by Wicked Welts

I just ordered some of that thread too from amazon, I will also report back on how it does.

I like the Soledi thread - it's not a very high quality thread, but as long as you aren't pushing 200 stitches in a row, it holds up nicely and is cost effective. I use the beige and the brown regularly. It freys very easily (it's braided, not a tri-cord) so make sure you melt your ends.

I was using Maine polycord for years but I found that the excess wax caused horrible discoloring on anything bigger than a card wallets when using natural colour thread. The wax on the thread picks up pigment. 30-40 stitches was a maximum in terms of a good hand stitch with Maine. For the a while now I've been running my Maine polycord through the feed on my 29K Singer with a bit of heat to clean up the excess wax for hand stitching.

This method helped A LOT with the colour but seriously, not even close to worth the effort. (I wanted to use up the thread I had left) I still use Maine's colored threads, but never the natural or white threads.

Soledi will still give you cheap looking stitching (not that the customer cares) - if you want to make your handstitching look the best it can, you'll want waxed linen - Somac 18/5 or 18/6, or try Barbour 18/5 18/6.

Thanks for the samples Doug, love this stuff and the Dowco, they both did well in my comparison. So well in fact that I ordered several rolls of both and they arrived the other day and I won't be looking back now. I now have no need for the overhyped and overpriced stuff and hope they offer this stuff in larger sizes soon.