Mira Designs

New To Me Sewing Machine. Need Help

Inherited an Adler 30-10. Started cleaning it up last night and will need to replace a few small things but looks to still be in great shape. Read the manual and I believe I followed all the steps. My problem is that it would catch the string from the bottom/ bobbin consistently. Any one have any ideas on what else I can try. It sometime catches and starts then nothing. The needle keeps going up and down but does not continue the stich. I'm not new to leather work but new to sewing, main reason for getting the machine is because my hands are getting to tired of hand stitching everything.

Also, would like to use a heavier thread and a non marking foot.

My other problem is parts. I have tried google and looked at many on-line stores but none of them carry this model. Hoping that one of the stores on this forum can help with parts or offer alternatives that are compatible with this model. I will add pictures later.

Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks, Ed

Great news! spoke to a local sewing shop and they are able to help with parts and diagnostics. According to the guy I spoke with after describing the symptoms, he feels it's a timing issue. Will keep my fingers crossed.

If the local guy can not help or needs help, Weaver leather is an adler dealer, they may be able to help, or point you in the right direction. They have helped other users with old adlers.

Try to get a hold of Constabulary here. He is from Germany and deals with all kinds of sewing machines and parts. I'm sure he can help you out.

No worries about buying from him, either. He ships everything quick and very well packaged!

Best of luck with your machine!

Black Dogg

Black Dogg - I´m not a dealer, I´m just selling extra parts from time to time to get in some play money for my sewing machine hobby. I have no Adler 30 parts.

Are you using the correct needle system? Machine needs a System 332 / 29x3 needle or alternatively a 135x17 needle (both ~45mm long).

if you have a 332 / 29x3 needle then the short grove should face straight RIGHT and if you have a 135x17 needle the scarf should face straight RIGHT.

1.) I´d try to move the needle holder a bit to the right so the needle is a bit closer to the hook. Loosen the screw above the needle screw and move the entire needle holder a bit to the right but make sure the needle will not hit the needle plate.

2) check the hook timing (see manual)

3.) check if the hook tip is work is worn. If so you can compensate that a little bit by adjusting the timing (see hook timing in manual)

4.) check the condition of the small spring in the shuttle driver. It should gently touch the hook and push it against the gear box (hope you know what I mean) If the spring is worn (should have a nice smooth ball on the tip) I´d replace it because a worn tip may shred the thread sooner or later.

If you need a new hook or the small spring they are the same as for the Singer 29K71 / 29KK73 so they should be available at most of the known dealers or even on Ebay.

Hope this helps ;)

A non marking foot is almost impossible for the machine because it is a top feed (no feed dog or needle feed) machine so it needs the teeth to move the material but you could try a piece of heat shrink tubing. This is nothing permanent and if it does not work for you you can easily remove it.

Edited by Constabulary

Sorry Constabulary, I didn't mean "dealing" as in "selling all the time or professionally" but rather as in "working on a lot of machines and knows a lot about them" ;)

The meaning sometimes gets lost in translation with American slang (like German).

I just figured that sewing machines being your hobby you might have some answers and you did :You_Rock_Emoticon:.

Cheers!

Black Dogg

sorry - seems I got it wrong ;) indeed lost in translation

Sorry Constabulary, I didn't mean "dealing" as in "selling all the time or professionally" but rather as in "working on a lot of machines and knows a lot about them" ;)

The meaning sometimes gets lost in translation with American slang (like German).

I just figured that sewing machines being your hobby you might have some answers and you did :You_Rock_Emoticon:.

Cheers!

Black Dogg