corter

new work- midlength wallet and reign

heres some recent work that hasn't been either a bifold or a batch of 6 snap wallets. It's for a gentleman in France, so it's sized to hold euro notes vertically. I used some black dye (first time with black dye, really nice) and I also have a braided double reign with it. I'd love some input, this week marks 5 months since i picked up my first piece of leather and I think I'm on the right track but always looking to improve!

2229747643_d48c9978a4.jpg

2230540608_7e460c40a7.jpg

2230540484_08a46df700.jpg

2230540652_e5029e671b.jpg

It looks very stylish, and the braided rein between the clips adds functional elegance. I like the contrast with the natural leather and the black, too. Thanks for sharing!

Johanna

Great design and style, is that reg. veg. leather?

Since you asked for input, there are at least two things I would suggest you do on the next one. I would like to see you tighten your stitches(tension not closeness) and 'hammer' down the stitches. Using a smoothe round faced hammer to tap down your stitches helps them lay flatter to your work and it closes the stitch holes up around the thread. It' a function with fasion thing.

I would also look for a smaller zipper(reduce bulk).

It's a very nice piece, the owner should be proud. Cheers,GH

Corter

Nice looking work. The braiding looks nice and tight. IMO if ya would ad a pineapple knot at the lower end to finish it off and maybe a spanish ring knot to hold them together at the top. I think that would really put over the top. Thanks for sharing Mike

very nice. You've definately got an eye for style.

I'm with GH on the stitching and zipper. One thing I would add is some kind of liner to cover the exposed flesh side in the interior (big suprise huh)

I am also wondering how that ring post is attached. Does it swivel? or is it tight?

KK

very nice. You've definately got an eye for style.

I'm with GH on the stitching and zipper. One thing I would add is some kind of liner to cover the exposed flesh side in the interior (big suprise huh)

I am also wondering how that ring post is attached. Does it swivel? or is it tight?

KK

the ring post is fixed, but the hanger dee swings up and down.

the zipper- customer wanted a ykk, and wanted it big....who am i to turn him down i guess. The thing with my customers is they all like very hardy, long lasting things (thick selvedge denim, combed and chainstitched flannel, big leather pieces, etc.) and thus want big metal zippers in their wallets...huge wallets...etc. I love them too, so i guess it's a prefernce thing.

I'm not sure what you mean about the stitching on the inside- hit it down with a mallet? like...just hammer it? i'd love to learn this, i think it sticks out a bit too.

oh! and is there a good web resource for knotting? My braiding's getting nice and tight, but i'm just using hitch knots right now because it's all i know how to do/what my braiding book told me to do, i'd love to learn some stronger, more ornamental knots

thanks for the input everyone!