Sign in to follow this  
LilRay

Anybody Here Using Tool "boxes" For Their Hand Tools?

I've seen plenty of pros with big shops line their walls or benchtops with tools like edgers, awls, groovers etc. But I am just beginning and don't have that sort of space. I've gotten to the point though through a lot of blessing that I have "enough" tools that the night stand I was using is overfilling. That and I want to be able to separate tools for different steps. I don't want to have to move a maul to find a groover, that sort of thing.

I don't have many stamps yet, but I do have a few wooden handled tools.

I've got some hand carved bones for boning that I don't want broken. They're special to me.

I fear damaging or losing tools.

What do y'all suggest?

God Bless, Ray

Some while ago, I picked up an aluminum "tool" briefcase from Harbor Freight to carry the bulk of my tools/equipment. I was working at a friend's shop on the weekend and had to transport basically everything. I still use it, too. It's got elastic holders over pouches, and a sizable main compartment. When you do get a large selection of tools, you may want to make your own toolbox.

I use a aluminum tool box from Habor freight that I use for traveling. Some of our members use Craftsman toolboxes and one even uses the Craftsman nylon material bag. I hope this helps.

I'll check HF. I thought about a "Top Chest" with 5-6 drawers that sits on a mechanics "Roll Away".

I just didn't wanna be the only guy who carried his tools that way.

Hey look at that dummy, rolling that big box around.

:thumbsdown:

:gathering:

God Bless, Ray

Look at that idiot with the roll-away!eusa_naughty.gif

I have lots of square footage, wife doesn't want wall tool racks. Can't say I blame her. eusa_naughty.gif .....She just looked at my screen!

Anyway, I have a nice cardboard box just right sized for the FINISHING STUFF. Another for DYES. A bucket with an organizer thing of canvas for hammers and brushes and mauls and and. A copper spittoon full of wax for awls and needles,... you get the idea.

A cupboard with lots of stamps on a turntable thing, and when I start a new project I go load a wood holder w/stamps i'm going to use on that project. Never have used more than twenty at a time.

The boxes are nice cause they'r cheap and when they become the wrong size, either way, just change em.

I used to use a tackle box for my carving and stamping tools. Now I have an oak cabinet made by Dale Grabowski, I got from Hide Crafter. When I was travelling, I had 4 of the plastic stands from Tandy's in a cardboard box, that was the lightest weight thing I could think of. At one time I had an 8"x8"x3' chunk of wood, with the top third sliced off and hollowed out for a lid, that's why I became weight concious.

Kevin

Look at that idiot with the roll-away!eusa_naughty.gif

I have lots of square footage, wife doesn't want wall tool racks. Can't say I blame her. eusa_naughty.gif .....She just looked at my screen!

Anyway, I have a nice cardboard box just right sized for the FINISHING STUFF. Another for DYES. A bucket with an organizer thing of canvas for hammers and brushes and mauls and and. A copper spittoon full of wax for awls and needles,... you get the idea.

A cupboard with lots of stamps on a turntable thing, and when I start a new project I go load a wood holder w/stamps i'm going to use on that project. Never have used more than twenty at a time.

The boxes are nice cause they'r cheap and when they become the wrong size, either way, just change em.

Well, Other than the fact that you've got more tools, I'm right with ya. I keep liquids (dyes, glues etc) in one drawer of a night stand. The other has medicine bottles with snaps, and rarely used tools like screwdrivers etc. Then I have a box my stitching tools came in filled with that stuff, I have a 4x4 timber that I have holes bored for the 9 tools that came with the Deluxe leathercraft kit. I don't have any stamps yet except those. Another box has boning bones, skivers, Round Knife, v gouge, etc. Maul stays on top of nightstand.

Then I have stuff like 4 pieces of plexi that I adhere wallet backs to, and one that I took te first belt I tried, and made a strop out of.

I'm not the most organized person, but I seem to spend as much time looking through everything, as I do tooling. Because as always I'll inadvertantly put one thing in the wrong box.

I'd hate to see what a mess I would have with lots of stamps or dies.

God Bless, Ray