Sign in to follow this  
ydduit

Second attempt...Fire away!

This is my second holster.

7/8 shoulder from Zack White, hand stitched and finished with Neatsfoot oil. Let me know what you think...

I would have prefered black hardware but I was very limited on my selection...

I am only able to upload two pics as I am having problems with my camera...

picture024b.jpg

picture025s.jpg

Edited by ydduit

Nice looking holster. You done good. My only suggestions are you may want to consider dropping your leather weight down to 6/7 oz, for your IWB holsters. Since revolvers are generally thicker then automatics because of the cylinder, a little lighter leather often works out better in IWB holsters. Lastly, you may want to consider going with a leather loop with line 24 snaps placed to the rear of the trigger guard, insted of the metel clip next to the cylinder, to reduce holster balk.The leather loop will also be more secure then those spring clips. I used to build my knife pouches with spring clips until I lost a nice "Case" pocket knife when the knife pouch fell off of my belt. I'm sure everyone would like to see photos of the other side of the holster when you resolve your camera problems.

Best Wishes,

Randy

That turned out pretty good. Good IWB J-frame holsters are hard to come by.

As far as leather weight, if it's comfortable for you, go for it. As a rookie, I always underestimate the thickness of leather and I ordered a chunk of 8/9 and wished I would have gotten 7/8. Guess I'm still learning! It will all be OWB though so not such a big deal at this point.

What kinda grips ya got on that 642? They look a little different than the stock wood 642 grips I've seen.

Edited by adaman04

Yeah, I wanted to go with a lighter weight leather, but I used what I had available. It did turn out nice and is nice to carry...I was supprised at how comfortable it is to carry all day. Being a tuckable design, it would conceal easier with lighter weight leather but I don't have a problem as long as I wear a loose fitting shirt. I am still in the experimental stages so with each holster I make, I am learning.

The grips I believe came from a "Lady Smith". I picked them up on eBay a while back and the seller stated they were factory Smith and Wesson. They fit my wifes hands nicely and she likes the rosewood laminate.