Sign in to follow this  
jonwatsabaugh

Hamley Formfitter

Hey all,

I was wondering if any of you have built a saddle on a Hamley formfitter tree. I'm taking an order from a guy who wants big swells and I'm trying to talk him in to one. I've always wanted to build a saddle on this tree. If you have, post some pix if you like...love to see em!

Jon

Jon,

A friend of mine John " the saddleman" from Terrell TX builds alot of these saddles. Personally I do not like them, but he seems to have alot of luck building them. Here is his link www.highbacksaddle.com

Ashley

Edited by snakehorse saddler

Jon, I have never built on a Hamley formfitter but I did build a Bull Moose one time which is similar. It was a pain to cover the swell. There is so much under cut I had to leave the stitching on my welt really loose and then tighten it up like shoe laces once I slid it on the fork. I took the pic of the one I built off of my website so nobody would get any ideas and order one :) But that is just me, give it a go and at least you can say you did one. Good luck-Brian

When I was learning to build saddles I picked up an old Hamley Formfitter that needed alot of work to practice on. Probably not the best choice for my first fork cover, but it turned out alright. But the extreme undercut does present the problem Brian mentioned. After I finished it I rode it a few times to see what it was like. I sure didn't like it much. I felt pretty trapped and it just wasn't my cup of tea. I had an order for one about 20 years ago. I just personally don't really like the look of them so I didn't put the picture in my book. Didn't want to give anybody else any ideas. But I do think there are a number of people out there that like them. Chris

Thanks all for the advise! Since I make my own trees, I think I'll make my own version of a formfitter with a little less undercut. I'll post a pic when I get it done.

Jon

the wood work on the tree takes longer

rawhiding takes longer

covering the fork takes longer

fitting the seat takes longer

We should charge more for swept back swell forks!! I have made quite a few where I take a typical swell fork and just add 3/4" sweep back on each swell . I usually do it to a 12" , 12 1/2 or 13" fork. have done a couple with a wood horn. They look good as I keep them low as well.

Edited by AndyKnight

Jon check out Hamley's website, they have been making quite a few again. Please keep in mind the stock thickness on these new ones is thinner but the basic shape is the same. Greg