Sign in to follow this  
shaylajade

The Longevity of Saddle Lack

For those of you who use Saddle Lac as your finish/sealer, what is the life expectancy/duration of the finish? It seems the be doing the trick now; it doesn't crack, it's amazingly water proof, doesn't smell bad etc, but I'm worried about putting on say a dog collar, having someone use the collar regularly and the Saddle Lac breaking down, allowing water in, color out etc.

Does this make sense?

Thanks for any input. I feel like we're ALMOST there!

Edited by shaylajade

the stuff is very hardy if its used on saddles it can be used on most any thing nothing is that good you will have to refinish at some point I use it on belts every day its strong

Josh

For those of you who use Saddle Lac as your finish/sealer, what is the life expectancy/duration of the finish? It seems the be doing the trick now; it doesn't crack, it's amazingly water proof, doesn't smell bad etc, but I'm worried about putting on say a dog collar, having someone use the collar regularly and the Saddle Lac breaking down, allowing water in, color out etc.

Does this make sense?

Thanks Josh! I appreciate the feed back!

Does this make sense?

I don't use Saddle Lac, but I have in the past. I'm with Josh, I think it's a pretty good sealer, and anything that you choose will have to be rejuvinated.

Bob

Hi... We manufactured a number of wallets and belts for years using Neat lac spray as a final finish. We switched to saddle lac, and really couldn't tell much difference. We just put down a light coat first, and another on top of it, and those wallets and belts are still walking into our store after many years of service. :)

Kevin Hopkins