rickeyfro

Patterns

After alot of studying of videos etc. I think Im finally ready to take a stab at making my first saddle. What Im wondering is, are there any pattern sets available? Or whats the best way to make a set. Im hoping I dont have to buy and disassemble a saddlle in order to get a set

After alot of studying of videos etc. I think Im finally ready to take a stab at making my first saddle. What Im wondering is, are there any pattern sets available? Or whats the best way to make a set. Im hoping I dont have to buy and disassemble a saddlle in order to get a set

If you don't mind share what you learn about getting started on the saddle thing, thats something I really want to try sometime.

Hi there, I have been asking the same thing. Most people don't have the time to trace a set. I have offered to pay for a tracing just to get me started. I am not good for example of taking the stohlman books and blowing those patterns up to size partially because they are not the style I want. If I have the basic style, then I can modify it to what I need, but I am not good at redesign and "blowing" things up - just hasn't worked for me. If you find someone willing to help you, I would be willing to pay for a copy of your pattern tracings :)

thank you

Charlene

I would advise that you learn to make your own patterns, because you will find that you modify them, change them, create new ones and so on your whole saddlemaking life. I started by making the ones that are in the Stohlman books, and gradually went on from there. Bottom line, they have served me well for many years, and I still have, and use some of the original ones I made hanging on the wall.

Hope that helps.

Bob

After alot of studying of videos etc. I think I'm finally ready to take a stab at making my first saddle. What I'm wondering is, are there any pattern sets available? Or whats the best way to make a set. Im hoping I don't have to buy and disassemble a saddle in order to get a set

Ricky,

I used the A.S. 3 book set to start building saddles. It was a good way to get your feet wet but not the only way to build a saddle. The Bill Gomer tapes show you how to make your own patterns and I started to do that with the A.S. books, there was no saddle maker around for me to ask. While repairing customers saddles if I saw a stirrup fender that I liked I would trace it and may use it on the next one. This builds confidence to try some of your own ideas. Bottom line for me was to get started the Stohlman books could get me through start to finish and give me questions to ask to refine my skills.

Dusty Johnson has a set of patterns available for about $10.00 or $15.00. They are over sized but can get you a start to get the shapes you want. ( there is no seat pattern) The seat is the most difficult because there is no one size or shape, the bill gomer tapes can help with that.

Years ago I was in the same mode you all were in looking for the right patterns to build a saddle. There is no secret being held back from us, they just are not out there. We need to modify and adapt what we can get our hands on. The books and tapes/DVDs help with that.

P.M. me and I will be glad to send what I have for a basic set, (shipping only $$) but again, there is no one perfect seat pattern.

I have seen a you tube series that covers the seat, it was a couple years ago but search for it. Get as much info as you can.

Rick

I would like to learn to make my own, unfortunately....I am not creative (I am....but not at the start, I have to have something to work off of). I tried blowing up the Stohlman patterns, the D. Johnson patterns are not the style I like or want....I just need a basic set to work off of, once I have that and get the first one down and underway so I can learn what I don't like about it, then it all comes easier. I am not a visual person when it comes to doing things from scratch, I have to see it and handle it first, then be able to change it to fit my needs. It is the same for me with regular sewing. I am a good seamstress, but i can't do anything without a pattern, I have tried and tried to make my own to start with (clothing) but i can't do it...once I make a garment from a pattern, then I can modify it the way I like and make changes to it to make something similair but different, but I don't have the ability to do that from scratch - just not the way I am built. I wish it was. I have a saddle with a ground seat in it in my shop that has been sitting there for a year. I have tried and tried to make my patterns, they are not proportional, don't come out looking right, etc - so there it sits. I am so frustrated with trying to make just a starting pattern. I want to finish this saddle, but am really stuck.

Charlene

I would like to learn to make my own, unfortunately....I am not creative (I am....but not at the start, I have to have something to work off of). I tried blowing up the Stohlman patterns, the D. Johnson patterns are not the style I like or want....I just need a basic set to work off of, once I have that and get the first one down and underway so I can learn what I don't like about it, then it all comes easier. I am not a visual person when it comes to doing things from scratch, I have to see it and handle it first, then be able to change it to fit my needs. It is the same for me with regular sewing. I am a good seamstress, but i can't do anything without a pattern, I have tried and tried to make my own to start with (clothing) but i can't do it...once I make a garment from a pattern, then I can modify it the way I like and make changes to it to make something similair but different, but I don't have the ability to do that from scratch - just not the way I am built. I wish it was. I have a saddle with a ground seat in it in my shop that has been sitting there for a year. I have tried and tried to make my patterns, they are not proportional, don't come out looking right, etc - so there it sits. I am so frustrated with trying to make just a starting pattern. I want to finish this saddle, but am really stuck.

Charlene

Charlene,

I was in the same boat. Take the patterns, cut them out and tack them to your tree, use a pencil to draw lines and cut them to the shape you want. Tear them off the saddle stomp on them, burn them, and start all over again! ( just kidding) Paper is much cheaper then leather, you can cover the tree with paper to get the shapes you want. The D.J. Patterns are so large I eneded up with my final patterns 2/3 to 1/2 as large. They are just a start for you to see something on the tree.

I also blew up the A.S. patterns at a local print shop, had about $15.00 in it all and did the same thing.

Build your saddle with paper paterns first, cut them to the shape you want then cut leather.

Check the Bill Gomer saddle building DVD's they help with the whole process very well.

Rick

I have some patterns I could sell you but I think it would be better for you to make your own. I love making patterns now.

This is how I make a pattern for the skirts. First I take a full sheet of cardboard and put it under the tree and tape it in place. Then starting at point A. I measure the how much material I want in front of the bars as it goes around the gullet. Usually it's about an 1". Just make a mark. Then measure how far you want your skirts to stick out in front of the bars. You might have to reference other saddles. Make a mark for point B. Point C is how much material you want hanging down from the bars. Again you should reference some books or other saddles. Point D. is how far the rear of the skirting should hang down. I think it's usually about 13" for what I like. Point E. Is how far they will be behind the saddle. Now take a pencil and with a loose wrist just connect the marks. This part is important not to be too particular but just get the right flow. Eventually you'll start to see where the lines should be. Then you can go in with a sharpie and firm up the lines. Note: under the gullet can be kind of trick because you need to make a point where the skirts will be fastened under the hand hole. Stohlman books show how to cut this part. For me I like to drive a nail in, then snip it off with some pliers which leaves a sharp point. Then I rub the paper against the nail and it gives me the exact point to measure too. post-13207-001659700 1298484333_thumb.jpI hope this helps. Almost all pattern making is like this for me. First make the reference points then connect the dots. Hope this helps.

As far as fitting the seat of a roping saddle search for Bruce Cheany on youtube he has some good videos on there.

Hi all,

I am just wondering does anybody have a copy of Bill Gomer's DVD that they want to sell? I have researched extensively on the net and can only manage to find a place in the States that rents it out, however I have a feeling they wouldn't be too keen to post it to Australia..

If anyone has got a copy or can point me in the right direction as to where I could buy a copy it would be much appreciated.

Thanks,

Seb

Seb,

Try Bill

Bill Gomer

1939 Diamond Springs Road

Highland, KS 66035

1-785-0442-3048

Rickeyfro:

Patterns were my major concern when I started my first saddle - In the end I created my own and so far so good - I would highly recommend Jeremiah Watts saddle making DVD's - He shows how to make your seat pattern and ear cuts very clearly. Harry Adams books show how he makes patterns for everything else - He makes it simple and less intimidating. Al Stohlmans books are very good too - I also bought Dale Harwoods DVD's and found his stuff very helpful as well.

I think the first thing is to find a saddle / image of saddles you like the looks of and then study those images a lot. While you are making your patterns you can go back and use those images as guides. I went on the internet and saved about 10 images of saddles I thought looked right - I then tried to mimic their lines as much as I could.

One important thing I learned the hard way - Cut your skirts to shape after you blocked them. I cut to size first, blocked them and ended up with skirts that needed re-made.

Second round I cut skirts too big, blocked them and then made lines to cut skirts to - Worked out well.

Regards,

Ron L

Thanks for the advice everyone. It's much appreciated:)

Seb