TracyMoss

Rawhide Mauls and heads?

Anyone, know where I can get some more rawhide mauls and heads, new. Tandy did have the ASB mauls but now everything is Poly. I'm a traditionalist and prefer the rawhide ones. I don't want those cheap rawhide mallets with the wood handle, but some rawhide mauls with lathed leather handles.

Anyone, know where I can get some more rawhide mauls and heads, new. Tandy did have the ASB mauls but now everything is Poly. I'm a traditionalist and prefer the rawhide ones. I don't want those cheap rawhide mallets with the wood handle, but some rawhide mauls with lathed leather handles.

tracy talk to a tandy store mgr.he can find out if there is some in the warehouse or what store has some... this is what bob did for me , last week. there are pleanty out there, or there were.

Thanks Luke, the last Tandy guy I spoke with there weren't any more. I would like to find someone who is going to continue to make them, though I will take what I can get for now. Luckily, I bought two extra rawhide heads for my two pounder when I purchased it.

Thanks Luke, the last Tandy guy I spoke with there weren't any more. I would like to find someone who is going to continue to make them, though I will take what I can get for now. Luckily, I bought two extra rawhide heads for my two pounder when I purchased it.

Tracy, Are you looking for the 2 pounders? Let me know and I will search out in Tandy Land for you and see if I can find ya some. If I do, I can let the manager of the store nearest you know where to get them if there are any to be had, I can find em for ya! Then he can get them to you.....

Edited by Froghunter

Hello Tracy, did you consider making your own? I've considered it a number of times. It wouldn't be hard. I have a clicker that will cut the rawhide disks. I've got 3 1/2" disks and about 2" disks cutter for the clicker. Then all you will need a machine shop to mill you a brass weight for the top end. Use about 3/8 or 1/2 inch ready rod with a cap welded on the end, the would go through the brass weight on the top end, then pile on as much rawhide as you like, put a disk behind it, put on your nut, tighten it down. Cut a whole bunch of leather disks with the clicker to form a handle, use another washer and nut on the end tighten it down, here you may want to use a nice brass acorn nut of the end. Then go back to the lauthe (spelling) and mill down the handle to fit your hand. Use a farrier rasp as it turns, then sand paper to finish it. wet it down good with water and polish it with saddle soap and a canvas rag to burnish it. DONE!!!!

TRACY CALL BOB AT THE MEMPHIS STORE HE MIGHT HAVE ORDERED EXTRA.

2 WEEKS AGO THERE WERE 70 PCS OUT THERE.

Thanks Guys.

Bob, I guess I could, but I don't have the dies or a lathe for that matter. I was hoping to get one already made. One of you posted the link that had the wood handled maul, and I have used those in the past, but once you get a nice leather handled one you can't go back. Thanks, I check another Tandy's to see if they have some available in their warehouse. I should have bought some when they were half off/discontued sale. I saw an old osborne leather handled maul one time and it felt real good in my hand, but it was a no sale item. Also, Bob, if you want to make them, I'll buy it. As if you don't have any thing else to do.

Thanks Guys.

Bob, I guess I could, but I don't have the dies or a lathe for that matter. I was hoping to get one already made. One of you posted the link that had the wood handled maul, and I have used those in the past, but once you get a nice leather handled one you can't go back. Thanks, I check another Tandy's to see if they have some available in their warehouse. I should have bought some when they were half off/discontued sale. I saw an old osborne leather handled maul one time and it felt real good in my hand, but it was a no sale item. Also, Bob, if you want to make them, I'll buy it. As if you don't have any thing else to do.

I bought the cheap ones too with wooden handles, they're really hard to hold onto... I removed the wood and replaced them with leather, I used the concho cutter stacked em on there and went to the knife make who has a sander to grind it off smooth.

I have a vintage Tandy rawhide mallet that is like IRON! Awesome! But, it looks like a strip of rawhide that is rolled up like a "jelly roll". This looks like something that could made quite easily. I guess you would have to make a few for it to be worth while, but that would be a great group project! Count me in!

Tracy,

Just sent ya a message with some info on Tandy stores that SHOULD still have some of these.

I hope you can find some. If ya still don't find them let me know and I'll look a little more to see if I can find some for ya!

Good Luck!

Ken

Thanks, I got the PM. I'll be checking into that.

I bought a good rawhide 2 1/2 lb maul from zack white leather CO.  they are out of Ramsuer NC www.eleatherworks.com but be careful they are idiots to deal with.  DO NOT SEND AN INTERNET ORDER IN! They have messed up on two out of three orders but they do have alot of items that tandy does not.  Hope this helps you