"Gramp's" is a friends dad who's in his mid eighties. He traded for this Hamley saddle back in the fifties and used it until he quit riding about 20 years ago. It suffered from bad neglect until his kids asked me to clean it up for his birthday. It's too beat up to be used without major repairs and it's quite small so i got it looking good and now it sits in his front room.

post-19070-089779600 1316445791_thumb.jp

post-19070-074703000 1316445807_thumb.jp

post-19070-090975800 1316445844_thumb.jp

post-19070-018995500 1316445857_thumb.jp

post-19070-082432900 1316445875_thumb.jp

Edited by Josh Ashman

If they want to pursue it, I think Hamley's still may able to tell you about that exact saddle based on the serial number. I have had a couple that were interesting - got copies of the work order and shipping tag with the saddles.

Neat old saddle! Thanks for posting the pictures. Please let us know what you find out if you do learn more about it.

"Gramp's" is a friends dad who's in his mid eighties. He traded for this Hamley saddle back in the fifties and used it until he quit riding about 20 years ago. It suffered from bad neglect until his kids asked me to clean it up for his birthday. It's too beat up to be used without major repairs and it's quite small so i got it looking good and now it sits in his front room.

That saddle looks like it rode good!! Really nice. I bet he was happy when you cleaned it up for him. Please let us know more about it when you find out.

Thanks Bruce, when I get some spare time I'll have to look it up.

Sandy, Denise, if I find anything else out about the saddle I'll let you all know.

I guess the day they gave it to him turned into a big story day and Gramps had a fine time reliving his younger days.

I do know he got the saddle in a three way trade, a Winchester 30-30 from Gramps to his younger brother for what they called a fancy Mexican saddle which was then traded for the Hamley to an outfitter who was working on Cedar Mountian near Cedar City Ut.

You can find Hamley's at hamleyco.com. Give them a call and provide your saddle's serial number and they'll send you a certificate of authenticity that will tell for whom the saddle was made and when. Not only that, but if you want the saddle restored, they will do it. The certificate is a nominal fee, but restoration is quite expensive, of course. I am toying with the idea of having my Hamley restored by them. I still use it, but it's in dire need of restoration. I'm not up to the task with my skills yet.