Larry

Stitching Question on Tom Threepersons Holster?

I have looked at a lot of Tom Threepersons holsters and would like to make one for my S&W Mod. 19 and Mod. 66. I don't know how to finish the back of the holster as all the photos just show the front. It is stitched up the side and there is a small line of stitch just below the trigger guard. It goes down and looks like it is about an inch or inch and half long. Can someone tell me what this stitch is for? They all seem to have it and I can’t figure out what it is for. Also, does someone know where I can see the back side of a Tom Threeperson holster? This is new to me. I have made 4 holsters, so I am just learning. Here is a picture with the stitch in the red circle. Thanks everyone, Larry.

origTomThreeperson-1.jpg

The Threepersons-style holster features a welted seam (a "welt" is an additional thickness of leather sewn between the front and rear holster panels which reinforces seam strength and allows for easier fitting of the holster to the handgun).

The second stitch line at the upper portion of the seam is simply meant to reinforce the seam at a stress point (where the handgun is inserted and withdrawn).

I found a couple of photos showing the backs of Threepersons-style holsters, and have included the fronts for reference as well.

The holster you have shown was made by El Paso Saddlery, and features their unique method of sewing the holster lining (over the mouth of the holster).

Threepersons 1911 back.jpg

1911 Carved Threepersons.jpg

Threepersons, back.jpg

Threepersons, strap tan N-6.5.jpg

post-7487-12596785296_thumb.jpg

post-7487-125967854102_thumb.jpg

post-7487-125967855726_thumb.jpg

post-7487-125967857403_thumb.jpg

Many thanks, Lobo, I sure appreciate the pics. Now I can get started on the holster. I probably won't have a lining. I would like to try the tooling. I'll post pics here when I finish and maybe get some critics to help me learn as I go. Thanks again, Larry

Lobo, I would like to put a strap with snaps on my holster and I can see by the pictures where the snap goes on the front, but where did you put it on the back. I was thinking on the belt loop maybe, but not sure. Thanks, Larry

Larry:

You may mount the snap on the back of the belt loop. You may also mount it on the back side of the holster, just forward of the belt loop, which allows the strap to rotate forward and down, out of the way when not in use.

On the lined holsters I like to mount the snap studs prior to installing the lining. This covers the snap base with lining leather, keeping the metal from contacting the handgun inside the holster.

Thanks, Lobo, for taking the time to educate a newbie. It sure takes the peak out of the learning curve (and saves a lot of leather). Thanks again, Larry.