Sign in to follow this  
Pet

How can i do embossings?

I don't know if it is the correct word. I want to learn another way to do embossings, i do it with a kind of awl with a ball in its top. But i know that there is another way to do it (using a tool called 'troquel' but i don't know its name in English), but i do not know how. Does anyone can help me? I want to learn how to do different things with leather ^^

i add a photo of the tools i use to do my embossings, and some photos of works in progress

Hope someone can teach me a different way to do it :-)

P1020982.jpg

estuche4.jpg

P1020554.jpg

Pet, over here on the other side of the big pond, we called that "tooling" or "carving" It is done with many many diferent tools.

If you look at Tandy's website, and have a look at all the tools that are available, you will get a better understanding. Also there are some great tutorials that people have done to show you how to use these tools.

Here's a link to Tandy http://www.tandyleatherfactory.com/Stamps-Craftool.asp

Hope this helps in some way.

Ken

Embossing in the way we talk here is when you work from the fleshside with modelling spoons ot whatever comes in handy to push the entire or part of the tooling on the grainside (hairside) to pop out even more. Look up ClayB here to see what I mean. He's kinda extreme, lol.

From your picture it looks like you are talking about depressing the leather that is surrounding your design. That is what we call backgrounding so I think you should look for backgrounder tools on the link Ken posted.

This one:http://www.tandyleatherfactory.com/products.asp?number=6098-00

was used to depress the surrounding leather on my bootstrap. Takes some practice to get it even and is a really timekiller but I thinks this might be what you're looking for.

Tom

IMG_6128_01.jpg

IMG_6132_01.jpg

post-5146-1207001751_thumb.jpg

post-5146-1207001765_thumb.jpg

Thank you very much!!! That's exactly what i was lookin for!!

It's difficult to make me understand because i don't know the name of the tools or the different methods. :whistle:

I've found some tutorials to start carving. I'm very excited :D

Thanks a lot!!!!

We will be waiting patiently for pictures of what you come up with. If any help is needed, don't hesitate to ask, someone will be along to help you out.

Ken

Thank you very much!!! That's exactly what i was lookin for!!

It's difficult to make me understand because i don't know the name of the tools or the different methods. :whistle:

I've found some tutorials to start carving. I'm very excited :D

Thanks a lot!!!!

I know how you feel about terminology, I also had to learn alot of new words and still pick up on new ones.

Go slow and steady with your carving and why don't you sign up for some valuable free stuff over at Paul Burnetts Paintin cow.

http://www.paintingcow.com/

Paul got some great stuff!

Tom