Anna

Saddle Skirts and Strings

Hello everyone I have a question on the saddle that I'm making. My question: is it better to drill holes and put the saddle strings through the saddle tree or is it just as effective to nail or screw the saddle strings to the saddle tree under the leather? This is just the 2nd saddle that I have made and I am about to line the skirts and plug them but before I get to that I need to decided how I'm going to install the saddle strings. I've seen it done both ways and the first saddle I made I drilled holes and put the strings into the skirts. It seemed to work just fine. If anyone has advice for me that would be great. I usually get advice from a saddle maker down in Colorado but I came upon this site and it seems like there is a lot of knowledge floating around on this site so I thought I'd give it a shot. Thanks for your help.

~Anna

Anna,

It really is one of those questions with no answer. Some customers insist that they go through the tree. Others are just as insistant that they not be drilled. Some of it is regional bias and some is individual. If a customer has no preference it is a toss up and I go with the saddle's usage. Arena saddles - no, using saddles - yes. For the non-drilled I use screws, not nails. For the last few years I have been stringing the drilled ones through the tree only, not going through the skirts. I drill the holes and then remove the rawhide between them to let the strings in. It makes a smooth profile on the tree bottom. Then I just go on and attach my skirts normally. It is also easier for me to drop the lugs, run a new string through and pound it flat than to have to fish one through the skirt too. I use screws for my lugs, so zip-zip they are off and zip-zip they are right back where they were.

Thanks for responding Bruce. I think I have decided to put the strings through the skirts and the bars. It is going to be a saddle that is used on a ranch so it needs to be made to hold up. Anyway I just wanted to make sure I was not just creating unnecessary steps for myself by drilling holes in the bars and all that. Thanks for your help.

~Anna

I've replaced many strings over the years and I can tell you I appreciate those which are run through the tree and the fleece. Otherwise it becomes a very expensive string job. If you go with with running them all the way thro, pull them real tight on the top side and at the same time pound them flat on the backside. I trim the sheepwool under the knot to get them tighter. Strings done this way I can replace each on in about 10 min.