retiredff

Craftool Stamp Info

Newb here and have been lurking for awhile and learning a lot. I'm retired and needed a hobby! I have been purchasing some tools by trading items I have or I won a bid on ebay for numerous items, leather and many craftool stamps. These are "vintage" from what the seller told me. Is there a link when I can lookup the tool numbers and find out what they are used for? I In this "kit" I won were also 2 alphabet stamps, a 1/2" and 1" set. One had the stamps set in foam, and the foam had deteriorated to almost powder. The other set appeared to have had something spilled on it. Anyone recommend something to soak the stamps in to remove rust, oxidation or will a dremel and a wire type brush work w/o damage?

Thanks

Tony

Tandy has a chart for converting old numbers to new. There is also a list out there somewhere that lists a ton of the tools.

Here's a link to the chart

https://www.leathercraftlibrary.com/p-1416-craftool-conversion-chart.aspx

Got it! Thanks TomG.

In the "kit" I won on ebay there were 35 stamps. This chart will help a lot.

. Is there a link when I can lookup the tool numbers

Thanks

Tony

A guide to vintage Craftools - http://leatherworker.net/forum/index.php?app=blog&module=display&section=blog&blogid=31&showentry=68

More information on tools on the rest of my blog.

As for what the tools are used for, you need to get some leather tooling books.

The letter sets are most likely made from zinc plated metal , so the corrosion you are seeing is probably a form of zinc oxide. The wire brush/dremel thing should work to remove the corrosion but know that the zinc plating is damaged somewhat. Shouldn't affect their use though.

Thanks Wyoming, that link was helpful.

I have books on the way and scrap leather to practice.

Tony

while reading the conversion chart, the tools that have NO LETTER prefix are the best or will the current alternatives work also? I see a lot of adds on ebay that say "vintage tools" that has a letter in front of the number. So is the LETTER good or bad?

Can anyone recommend a good book or 2?

Edited by retiredff

Personally I recommend The Leatherwork Manual by Al Stohlman and others:

http://www.tandyleatherfactory.com/en-usd/product/leatherwork-manual-61891-00.aspx

It's what I got started with and it's still available from Tandy, and it covers a lot of basics. And it doesn't cost much. And I think you can buy it as an electronic copy from their leatherwork library if you are so inclined. Another book that will show you lots of neat tricks and stuff you can tool is Craftool Tech Tips by Al Stohlman:

http://www.tandyleatherfactory.com/en-usd/search/searchresults/66056-00.aspx

When it comes to Craftools, the ones without the letters are better. Once you get into the letters they might be old and might not. The newer the tools the less quality in their impressions. I know someone who describes the modern craftools as mere echoes of the original tool design because the patterns or dies they use to make them have worn out over the years. However, I think Tandy is taking steps to correct this, and their pro series tool line is a big improvement.

Hope this helps,

Bob

Thanks for the book titles. I found the Leatherwork manual on amazon as a used book for $11 with shipping. and the craftool tech tips for less that $20 with tax & ship. These should keep me busy for a while.

So the tools with letters are not old or "vintage"? How do the sellers on ebay get buy stating their tools with letters are "vintage?

I read on this site to stay away from any tools with a letter "Z". Correct?

I sent a seller on ebay an email about the "vintage" tools he has up for bid, here is his response:

--------

Q: Dear proleathercarvers,

I was under the impression that craftools that had a letter in front of a number or on the craftool chart are "current alternatives" or not the old desirable tools (vintage). One of yours I could not find - F897 on the chart, however it is under "old" on the chart #897.

Are the"Alternatives" vintage or not?

correct me if I'm wrong.

A: These are all vintage tools made in the 1960s.

Once the numbering of tools began, they were marked with “Craftool Co” and just a number. This type of marking was consistent up through 1962. In 1963, they started adding a letter prefix to the number. From 1963 until around 1969 they were marked with “Craftool Co.” and a number with a letter before it to identify the type of tool it was.

Thanks,

- proleathercarvers
--------

Thanks for the reply's

Edited by retiredff