I was just wondering what most people are using for sewing machines? I do know the hand saddle stitch is stronger but am still curious what people are using. Ive been eyeing many different machines and was curious what people liked and what they could sew on them.

Thanks

Jeremy

I've been using a Boss for 19 months. Sucks for belts and stuff like VM2 clones, but otherwise it's been good to me.

I am just getting to know my Juki 441. I considered getting a Boss but Cobra Steve made me an offer I couldn't pass up.

I use a Toro 3000. Still getting my learning curve down!

Just purchased and received the CB4500 Cowboy this past Monday.

Jake

Im afraid of electric machines.

I ordered my Cobra Class 4 yesterday...with the new motor/servo fix, the learning curve should be a lot less pronounced...more control over speed should make it easier to learn..

As long as the leather is properly bonded so that the stitch isn't the only thing holding a seam together, there is no problem using a lock stitch. Yes, a saddle stitch is stronger, but a machine is much faster.

I use a Boss.

Boss Here, still hand stitch a lot also. The machine is good for some things but hand stitching is hard to beat on everything except time.

Chief

Edited by Chief31794

From the old grump: I hand stitch. IMO hand stitching is (when done properly) better looking, stronger, and longer lasting than what a machine does. When doing custom work, the customer deserves, and is paying for, the best that you can produce, and IMO that is a product that is hand stitched. Mike

Randall Lockstitch. I can run the machine fine, still learning to make holsters though wacko.gif

2012-05-20+16.15.03.jpg

Randall Lockstitch. I can run the machine fine, still learning to make holsters though wacko.gif

2012-05-20+16.15.03.jpg

That is a beautiful machine!! I just love the old iron. Any idea of its age?

Jeremy

I ordered my Cobra Class 4 yesterday...with the new motor/servo fix, the learning curve should be a lot less pronounced...more control over speed should make it easier to learn..

I look forward to hearing how you get along with it. I read about the modification done to improve the speed control, something as simple as paper and pencil turned a good machine into a great one. I imagine the factory fix is a bit more high tech. What made you chose that machine over the many others?

Jeremy

Just purchased and received the CB4500 Cowboy this past Monday.

Jake

I was looking at that one online, looks real nice. Id like to know what you think of it and what made you go with that machine.

Jeremy

From the old grump: I hand stitch. IMO hand stitching is (when done properly) better looking, stronger, and longer lasting than what a machine does. When doing custom work, the customer deserves, and is paying for, the best that you can produce, and IMO that is a product that is hand stitched. Mike

I agree, there is something to be said about hand stitch and quality. I do believe if I get a machine I wouldn't charge as much for machine stitched vs hand stitched.

I should've also asked, those that have machines or getting new ones, is the craft your "day job" or side job, or just a hobby. Trying to justify the cost of one, although we spent $2400 on a fancy quilting machine for the wife 12 years ago and I bet she has less than 40 sewing time on it, she did get paid to make one quilt though. I just like my "toys" to earn their keep.

Jeremy

I'd starve if I relied on hand stitching my stuff "for a living". Fortunately, I don't currently make things to sell, such that I would starve if I did.

I do like the look of the hand stitching over machine work. Everything has its tradeoffs, I guess.

I'm sure some of the lifelong hand stitchers, though, are pretty darn fast at what they due. This is an enviable skill for sure.

Jake

I sell what I make, have a business license, but I don't put in 8 hours every day, I'm retired and let the hobby pay for itself. I wind up hand stitching nearly everything, I bought it, but honestly can't justify the cost. If I were a production shop, then a machine might pay for itself, but like the old Grump I'd rather handstitch. (Note: since I bought it and justified it to my other half, I sew something on it once in a while when she's in the shop just to cut down on the aggravation of answering, "Thought you needed that machine to sew things?")

Chief

I look forward to hearing how you get along with it. I read about the modification done to improve the speed control, something as simple as paper and pencil turned a good machine into a great one. I imagine the factory fix is a bit more high tech. What made you chose that machine over the many others?

Jeremy

I was looking at that one online, looks real nice. Id like to know what you think of it and what made you go with that machine.

Jeremy

It was the best deal really. Great customer service and I got everything they make for it at a cost comparable to everyone else, plus the motor/servo mod.

I do this full time and use a Cowboy 4500 daily.... I agree with everything renegade said above....

(Note: since I bought it and justified it to my other half, I sew something on it once in a while when she's in the shop just to cut down on the aggravation of answering, "Thought you needed that machine to sew things?")

Chief

I love it!You_Rock_Emoticon.gif

I too, use the Cowboy 4500 everyday and am so glad I made the purchase. Initially, i wondered if I did the right thing, as I never used any kind of sewing machine before, so the learning curve was a little steep. After I slowed down and and got some great customer service and advice, it became a piece of cake. Like most machines, once you figure out the little idiosyncrasies of your particular machine, you will be happy you went for it.

My motive for getting a machine was I retired and my wife urged me to GET a hobby... I have sort of arthritic hands so hand stitching a lot turns outto be quite painful after a while... I did a lot of reading here and Wiz-crafter along with others provided lots of insight… (I only wish I had a small portion of their knowledge and experience).

I ultimately went with the CB3500. I had an opportunity to try a Saddle Makers 4500 and it was fine. Sewed a holster and belt first time I used it… . After our visit I went with the 3500 – not working on anything larger than that holsters or belts so far.... He built several saddles using a 9" throat machine... I have a friend who builds holsters and he used a Lubrisco, and CB. Both of them are < 15"…

Toledo Bob provided a sharp pencil deal.. There was a learning curve with the machine at first and at times it still gives me fits… All in all my goal is to have a hobby that pays for it self. So far that has not happened but I'm on my way… The more holsters I build the better they seem to get (or my standards are slacking off)… I carried a firearm for over 3 decades and I would not send a holster out that I would not wear myself to protect myself or my family…

Edited by DoubleBarP

I've been full-time now for almost two years....I couldn't do it without a machine...an electric one, CB 3500 in my case.

Thank you all for the replies, I appreciate it. Seems most like the 441 or clones, I like what I've read about them, they seem to be very versatile, id like to do bags too, heavier stuff. I talked with the funds appropriation department, aka the wife, anybody know when he'll is going to freeze over? Haha. I'm keeping my eye out for some used stuff. A dealer has a Singer 153W103 that he wants $1350 on a new table with a servo motor. Might be a bit high considering I cannot find any listing for parts for that machine. I think a boss may be better than a powered machine that parts are no longer available for.

Jeremy

I bought my Cobra Class 4 earleier this year. It's taking me a while to learn the ins and outs of the machine, but the sewing looks a heck of alot better than any of my hand stitching. But I learn something new everytime I do a different style holster.