Sign in to follow this  
skyblast

Burnisher or Sander?

Hi, first post here.

So I'm trying to achieve cleaner, nicer looking edges on hand made holsters but I'm a bit confused. Does one use a Burnisher or a sander or are they kind of the same thing?

A burnisher has a special head on it right that spins on the end of a motor? A burnisher is supposed create a nice flat clean edge right?

..well

Couldn't a sander do the same thing?

Lastly, if a burnisher is what I should use where do I buy one? I've been scouring the internet everywhere for one with no luck. I have a harbor freight down the street from me....do they carry them?

Hi, first post here.

So I'm trying to achieve cleaner, nicer looking edges on hand made holsters but I'm a bit confused. Does one use a Burnisher or a sander or are they kind of the same thing?

A burnisher has a special head on it right that spins on the end of a motor? A burnisher is supposed create a nice flat clean edge right?

..well

Couldn't a sander do the same thing?

Lastly, if a burnisher is what I should use where do I buy one? I've been scouring the internet everywhere for one with no luck. I have a harbor freight down the street from me....do they carry them?

Hi Skyblast,

First off, welcome to the site....Read this thread, it should answer all the questions that you asked....

http://leatherworker.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=16609

Thanks a lot everyone. In the last year and a half I have made over 300 holsters for customers with a very basic procedure; wet leather, make mold, let dry, cut out shape, dye and lastly apply lotion. That's it.

Now I'm am looking to step up my game.

You may have seen me on youtube?? Holland Holster Co. Here are a couple videos:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hih6nzL1qKM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xYxXPDLtzW8

Thanks again. So glad I found this site. Up until this point I have been completely in the dark, making things up as I go.

Hi Skyblast,

The holsters are very nice, i think you are doing great...But i have one piece of very important advice....In the first video, when you are reholstering the pistol, you have your hands under the muzzle, its a very bad habit to get into, please rethink on how you do this...Tom