Sign in to follow this  
Freki

Bracer with a pattern from Gotland

I made this bracer already some time ago but I after being unsatisfied with the result, I revised it recently.

This time the pattern is not designed by myself, it is an ancient one from Gotland, Sweden.

I really love this pattern and used it quite often in the past.

skenagotlanddragon.jpg

post-8560-1233944426_thumb.jpg

Freki,

Really nice work. Beautiful rich colors. I love those old Norse dragons...they look so unlike our modern versions of dragons...almost like hounds. How cool to live in the ancestral home of the Vikings! They had such a unique sense of beauty...those dragon boats, and their knotted artwork, and the gripping beasts, and the fierce looking helmets. I enjoy the Norse. They were the global cosmopolitans of their time. Some have called them the first modern Europeans.

Daggrim

That looks really good. I like it.

On a side note do you have a source or website that you prefer for finding authentic old drawings and pictures of the art like that?

Daggrim:

First of all: Thanks for your words!

Yeah, these Viking dragons and beasts have their unique vibes - and the best way to explore their magic is to recreate them again and again - and leather is a perfect material for this...

That looks really good. I like it.

On a side note do you have a source or website that you prefer for finding authentic old drawings and pictures of the art like that?

Unfortunately I don't know a special website, I started collecting everything I could find some years ago - most patterns I actually got from books.

But if there are more people around here who share this intrest, I could make a .rar-file and load it up somewhere...

Daggrim:

First of all: Thanks for your words!

Yeah, these Viking dragons and beasts have their unique vibes - and the best way to explore their magic is to recreate them again and again - and leather is a perfect material for this...

Unfortunately I don't know a special website, I started collecting everything I could find some years ago - most patterns I actually got from books.

But if there are more people around here who share this intrest, I could make a .rar-file and load it up somewhere...

Make it a .zip file, and I'd be all over it. (I have a hard time with .rar files.) I'd even be happy to host it.

I Love them Freki,

The patterns from Gotland is to me the best ones, you did an excellent work on these:-)

Make it a .zip file, and I'd be all over it. (I have a hard time with .rar files.) I'd even be happy to host it.
You're not the only one there Tasha! I love this bracer - wish I had enough leather to try tooling something similar. Man, I got to get me some vegtan!Freki, your work is brilliant! :You_Rock_Emoticon: Edited by Raven

I have done two .zip-files and just upload them. Where shall I post the links? Into the pattern-section?

I guess the Pattern section is the best place to start.

Unlike some yahoogroups, this forum doesn't seem to have a files section.

Fred

Yes please, the patterns section would be great. Thank you very much!

Very nice work. What process did you use for your color and finish?

Very nice work. What process did you use for your color and finish?

Really not a special process I think - dyeing with ROC leather-dye and afterwards fiebing's medium brown antique finish.

Mainly using old socks and smal paintbrushes for the dyeing.

Mainly using old socks and smal paintbrushes for the dyeing.

I use old t-shirts ripped into squares. When I'm doing demos, people ask about my "special cloth" all the time thinking it is some kind of trade secret. :D