bruce johnson

My Leather Tool Collection

I never started out to be a collector. Problem was I would get a cool old tool and it would never leave. Then another shows up, and pretty soon they have their own section. After a while it enlarged and now I have to admit - it is a collection. When we did the saddle tool display for the cowboy museum we got a lot of interest. It sparked the idea for me to make up a webpage of some of my collection to share on the internet. These are some of the more obscure early makers - all from the 1800s. Most of these tools are not for sale, but there is a lot of history there. Here is the link to that gallery page - http://brucejohnsonleather.com/content/index.php/leather_tools_for_sale/myleather-tool-collection-history-in-your-hand/ . I hope you enjoy.

Thanks for sharing neat

Hello Bruce,

You never stop to amaze me. You have tools in your collection I never knew existed. Most of these makers I never heard about before. Is there any information, books that covers all the old American leather tool makers. I sure want to read up about them if I could.

Thanks

Tor

Nice collection Bruce! There's a couple of makers I had not heard of in there. I've seen a couple of Wm Brown round knives for sale recently but didn't snag any. While at the trade show in Wickenburg in Feb. I was rumaging through Bob Douglas' bargain bin and found a J.English and H.Hubers round knife for 3 dollars. He came over and we talked about it for a bit. I think he was surprised that I'd heard of them and knew the general timeline they were in business. It's certainly a bit worn, as are the markings, and doesn't have the original handle, but it should be neat to sharpen up and use on occasion.

Paul