I've tried doing a search on here & I have found some good information but none of the previous threads really answered my question.

I'm curious about the order in which I should use the liquid latex when using paint.

Should I paint the design on my leather item, cover with liquid latex, allow to dry, and then dye the remaining leather?

OR

Should I cover the area of my leather that is to be painted (still bare leather but design is stenciled on) with liquid latex, dye, remove latex, and then paint the design?

I guess my concern is that the woodland scenics liquid latex I have contains ammonia and I'm worried that it will not allow the paint to adhere well to the leather if I paint after using it.

Hope some of this makes sense! haha!

Thanks in advance!

I recently started using latex to block both dye and paint. I am using Grafix Incredible White Mask liquid frisket. It blocks pro oil dye and acrylic paint well with just 1 or 2 light coats. It dose discolor the veg tanned leather slightly. I put the latex over white cova color with no discoloration to the paint, or lifting of the paint when latex was removed. I painted the leather after removing the latex and then scratched at the edge of the paint with an e-xacto and a brass wire brush. No paint came off.

Other than the slight discoloration of the leather it seem that the order of use of the products makes no difference.post-26842-0-33736400-1423768326_thumb.jpost-26842-0-35678600-1423768333_thumb.j

I can't comment on the use of liquid latex and paint, but for using DYE, I suggest masking first. I made a clutch with a painstakingly dyed section (hours of building up layers of diluted dye), and used liquid latex to mask off that section so I could airbrush the background. That idea worked well as far as keeping the background color off of the detailed part. However, when removing the latex, it pulled every iota of the dye out of the detailed area. I should note, that after the 'practice' I got on the first time, the second dyeing of the details went much faster.

Also - if possible, have a cut line around anywhere you don't want the dye to creep. In the pics above, you can see some areas where the dye bled under the latex a tiny bit. As long as you aren't flooding the piece with dye, the cut should stop it from going any further.