Andrew Chee

Piping Foot For A 441 Clone?

Does anyone make such a thing? I was sewing the gusset of a bag together that was about 12oz total and had piping in it. I originally tried to sew it on my Pfaff 335 with 138 thread through a 22 needle and the strange thing was the machine would actually hit something in the leather and break a needle. The leather I was using was a soft milled veg tan from Waterhouse leathers. The stuff is very soft so I don't understand what could have been breaking my needles. I've sewn bridle leather through that machine with no problems so the 335 should've been more the adequate to sew this stuff. Anyways, I was using a piping foot on the machine because I wanted the stitch to get right up against the piping.

So because the Pfaff wouldn't cut it, I ended up sewing it on my Artisan Toro 3000. Using a 23 needle and 138 thread it cut through the leather with no problems. I used a right toe foot and was able to sew with no problems. Does anyone make a piping for though? I'd like the stitch to get a bit closer to the piping itself. A 1/4" piping foot would work just fine. Thanks.

Andrew

I think almost every make of sewing machine has piping feet for them.

Bob Kovar probably has them.

ferg

AFAIK, there aren't any piping foot sets made commercially for a 441 type machine. You will probably have to get them custom made.

no piping feet exist for 441 type machines.

Make one from a blanket set. kwokhing.com sell reasonable priced foot set; about 10 $ a set. It easy to make the piping foot yourself with a Dremel rotary tool. http://www.kwokhing.com/juki/441.htm

Good luck

Tor

Edited by Trox

Most industrial sewers use any foot - such as a zipper foot - that will get right up to the edge of what they are sewing. Quite often a standard set of feet is attacked with a bench grinder.

I always wanted to move my metal working tools out of my leather shop, because of the unwanted dust from the bench grinder and such. But it never going to happen, I need them almost every day.

Until somebody who knows what we need starts fabricate attachment; we have to modify our own stuff. For those of you who are scared of attacking your machines or attachments with grinding tools. Or simply lack the experience, start to practice on some less valuable stuff.

Until we all have 3D laser cutting metal printers (sometime in the future), we have to help ourself. The metal tools are of course useful for maintenance/restoring leather tool and hardware too. I guess they will forever be a part of a leather workshop.

Tor

There is one person here who are not afraid to modify is own stuff.

Leatherkind, he is a very resourceful person.

I want to thank him for the 3D printed 441 stirrup plate he sent me. Despite the fact that it is made out of plastic, works very well. It is maybe a bit of topic, I will post about in a other thread.

Thank you very much.

Tor

I spoke about the feet in original posting probably being available somewhere.

I still think they could be had IF someone cared to make them.

I have modified enough leather working tools/machinery to know nothing is impossible, you just need some tools, ingenuity, and an idea.

ferg