Red Cent

Concealed Carry Ruger Vaquero

post-36503-0-11944000-1377902002_thumb.j

post-36503-0-74506300-1377901885_thumb.j

Made for a 3" but I only have a 5".

What a beautiful gun! The holster is nice but I would never conceal a beauty like that...

Thanks y'all.

Jeff L. This one is for you.

post-36503-0-53156800-1378043872_thumb.j

Your Killing me. :cowboy: How old are those? They don't make the 3 screws anymore do they? I have a matching set of Vaqueros on my Christmas list... And I have been a very good boy this year.

Edited by Jeff L

A couple of years ago I had eight 3 screws. Sold down to three and just bought two more a few months ago. No, they don't make the 3 screw anymore. But you can pick up a 3 screw for about 500-600 each. One of the 3 screws I bought was an old flattop in excellent condition.

post-36503-0-91506900-1378086555_thumb.j

post-36503-0-10164400-1378086559_thumb.j

post-36503-0-65468200-1378086561_thumb.j

post-36503-0-25263200-1378086564_thumb.j

I see some duct tape on the barrel....is this to get it shoot strait when drawn....hahaha...nice holster...I love wheel guns too!!

Yeah, the revolver kept missing targets :).

I tape a dowel rod or pencil between the front sight and the frame. Don't ask me why:).

post-36503-0-11944000-1377902002_thumb.j

post-36503-0-74506300-1377901885_thumb.j

Made for a 3" but I only have a 5".

Interesting design. If you make another, you might think about sitting the gun into the holster more deeply. It will be a little more stable, and it's always a good idea to cover the trigger guard.

Malabar, that is a single action. You have to fully cock the revolver before you can pull the trigger. No danger. The revolver was wet molded and the resistance is decent. You would have to work at it to dislodge the revolver.

As a long time competitor in a few gun sports, ideas for holsters come to mind. Kinda like when I used to go the barber and tell him no white walls and no lightbulb look and guess what? So I bought a C4 and started making them the way I want and the precise way a customer wants.

The customer in this case is a seasoned SASS shooter and is pretty decent with his 3" Ruger Sheriff's models in 45 Colt.

I just finished this rig today. I looked all around for someone to make these and could not find anyone.

I just noticed I did not put dark brown edge coat on the rig.

post-36503-0-59449500-1378166760_thumb.j

post-36503-0-41915800-1378166763_thumb.j

post-36503-0-91543100-1378166765_thumb.j

post-36503-0-32338700-1378166768_thumb.j

Edited by Red Cent

Yeah, I know it's a single action. And I know that every competitor has their own ides about what is safe and what is not safe. But I'm also the chief instructor at one of the biggest gun clubs in Florida. And because I have to deal with USPSA, IDPA and SASS, I also know that competitors don't agree from sport to sport on what is "safe." But we're talking about concealed carry. And that doesn't have anything to do the rules of any of these sports.

Accepted rules for CCW require the trigger guard to be covered because it makes the gun safe. The trigger guard on OWB single-action rigs are exposed because of the old practice of having the finger in the trigger guard from the draw. That's not acceptable today with any style of pistol.

I don't want to start a pissing match, but this interests me: Why would you choose to expose the trigger guard on a CCW rig?

I will concede I've never made a CCW rig for a single-action revolver, but I've made a bunch for double-actions. One is below. I've posted the pic to show that there are certainly ways to apply modern construction techniques to revolvers.

froscher-revolver-shield-II.png

Oh boy. Well, if I carried a Glock or any other striker fired pistol or maybe a revolver with a 7-8# pull, I would cover the trigger guard. I faithfully carry a Colt lw Commander since the 70s. The commander is carried in a BlackHawk Level 1 holster appendix :head_hurts_kr: carry. And you will love this. I bought the pistol used in the earrly 70s. A 'smith and fomer Olympic shooter tuned it for me and put some adjustables on it for me. It had a 2# pull then and it does still. My cowboy revolvers have 2# pulls as does my replica Winchester 1873. The M97 Winchester does have about a 4# trigger. And I have never had an AD in my life.

The holster design was a friends choice and I would not hesitate to use the holster. There is one point in this that you are missing and assuming a lot. You do what you practice/train. You can't stop stupidity. Anyone that is stupid enough to cock a single action in a CCW holster is vying for a Darwin Award.

I am not sure the reason of your post but it is a little sarcastic with a touch of condecension. At 71, I have done very well in a number of gun disciplines including the belt buckle below. I also compete in WB and do very well there also.

I apologize but my personality does not allow anyone character assasination without response. You are preaching to the choir.

post-36503-0-75882800-1378223183_thumb.j

Edited by Red Cent

Critiquing holster designs is a little like offering unasked opinions on somebody else's horse, dog or spouse.

I like the holster Red Cent. I've given some thought to making a cross draw for my 4-5/8 Blackhawk. More for general all around carry than actual concealed carry, i.e. around the place, down to the shop and maybe a quick run to town for gas not so much for a night on the town.

Best regards, Josh

Edited by Josh Ashman

Red,

didn't mean to be condescending, and I certainly don't see how I assassinated your character -- nothing in my post questions your intelligence, skill or ethics. But this is a board for discussion of holster construction, so you have to expect folks to ask why you do things in a particular way. And concealment rigs for single-actions are very unusual.

I have no issues with carrying a 1911 cocked and locked, as long as the safety and trigger are protected. As you say, proper training and habits are essential.

What I asked was, why would you choose to leave the trigger exposed? if you don't want to discuss that it's fine. If the answer is simply, "that's the way the customer wanted it," that's fine too. But you're an experienced cowboy shooter, and very familiar with the operation of these guns, so you have plenty of insight into the mindset. But if there is a technical reason for it, related to the use of a single-action revolver for defense, I'd like to understand it.

BTW: I like the two-gun rig. Is that for fast draw?

tk

Edited by malabar

"Accepted rules for CCW require the trigger guard to be covered because it makes the gun safe. The trigger guard on OWB single-action rigs are exposed because of the old practice of having the finger in the trigger guard from the draw. That's not acceptable today with any style of pistol."

".....nothing in my post questions your intelligence,....." Yes you did.

"But we're talking about concealed carry. And that doesn't have anything to do the rules of any of these sports."

Says who? You?

"The holster design was a friends choice........... "

I started to type we should agree to disagree. However we do not disagree in principle. Just social actions.

Later.

Edited by Red Cent